Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU requirement

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
I ordered a ECS 661FX-M7 motherboard (LGA 775) and a Intel Celeron D 3.2GHz CPU the other day from NewEgg.

I am trying to find out what the base requirement is for the power supply. I have an Antec case with a Antec 300W PSU and wondering if that will be sufficient.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
The other components that are recieving power in this system are crucial to know- graphics card, amount of mem, harddrives, optical..etc- it would run, but I would say its kinda giving it aa little power, I wouldnt hesitate to upgrade to a 350-400 to be on the safe side incase you wanted to add something that might need a bit more "umph" to it

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Yeah, I been thinking of that...

The system is pretty doggone basic. I'm not into gaming so the video card is nothing fancy, a Geforce FX5200 128M.

It has a hot-swapable IDE drive bay and a CD-RW/DVD and DVD+R drives.

Lastly it has a Soundblaster Live! (the older, original model).

Thats really it. No reason to add more to it other than speed.

I will probably invest in a 400W+ PSU in the future... if the 300W works for now that will suffice until I get the cash to spring for a larger PSU.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its an Antec so i would say you will get away with it its not a power hog of a system and even now most high end systems will be lucky to use 300W under load an older one like that will not need more than 300W at full load.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
agreed, as you stated, your really not in need of something huge to power that system so you should be fine-- save your money unless you start to notice system failures and other problems :whistling: