Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help me build this PC.

• Please log in to reply

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey I have a guy who wants me to build him a PC. He wants to be able to run 2 monitors, wants an AMD dual core chip. Asus mobo preferably, 2gb ram, lots of storage, possibly running 2 HD's in RAID. Please help me pick the components for this computer. Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
To be honest, although my heart remains with AMD, I would ask this friend of yours if he would want an Intel Conroe as those chips are brilliant and if you get something like the E4300 or E4400 you can get a chip thats very cheap, overclock it and then see it ourpreform the higher end chips in the high 800's

As for the video card, your really going to only need a card with either a vga and dvi or dual dvi- the latter of the two is recommended for a "sharper" picture, but if he doesnt need a blazing graphics card, there are some great ones you could get for that basic function

also is there any specific storage- or a minimum to go on?

budget as well would be nice

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The storage minimum is probably arounds 300gb's. What board and vid card would you go with?

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I mean what board and vid card with AMD. This guy is brand loyal.

Maybe i can get him into on eof the higher end conroes though.

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
PLEXTOR Slot Load 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model PX-716AL/SW-BL - Retail
$146.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$149.99

2 ViewSonic VX2035WM Black-Silver 20.1" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
$599.98
($299.99 each)

2 ASUS EN7300GT SILENT/HTD/256M GeForce 7300GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$177.98
($88.99 each)

Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
$109.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop $221.00

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$219.99

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
$316.00
Subtotal: $1,941.92

Plus a case, Vista, a mosue keyboard speakers. How does it look? All compatible?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As a rule dont use SLI unless you have to, and dont pair low end cards just buy one better card, dual gfx systems also kick a fuss at dual monitors on occasion. Silent cards also shouldn't be but in SLI, SLI means twice the heat and silent cards aren't as good as dissipating it as ones with fans.

Intels are great but if he wants to use AMD it wont be too big a hit and he can upgrade later the next gen AMD looks like it will be better than conroe by an extensive margin. AMD is also cheaper, the motherboards are like half the price so i wouldn't be all that bothered unless he is really in need of cutting edge cpu performance right now so its nothing to get your panties twisted or have an argument about.

What does he intend to use the system for?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
If you want dual monitor support, dont get two video cards, get one with dual dvi ports. That way you can also spend more on better card.
ASUS EN7600GT/2DHT/256M GeForce 7600GT Video Card - Retail$134.99
This is a bit better, has dual DVI so you need one card. A 7800 would be even better.
If you only use one card you dont have to go all out and buy a 975 board, a good 965 should be enough, that mobo is pretty good, but if you dont need the features, you could save money and improve in other areas and pump more cash into the graphics card.
Which case? I think a good case is impotant for several reasons.

Edited by sarahw, 01 February 2007 - 06:56 PM.