Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with PDFS

• Please log in to reply

regevans

regevans

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Folks,

I'm new on here so hello everybody! Please could somebody help me with a problem I have. I administer a small website and we have a page THAT stores various files which we usually password protect. However, I've been sent some PDFs to put on and as I only have acrobat reader I'm unable to pw protect them. What's the best thing to do? I triedcontacting the author to see if he would do it to no avail.Would I need to get something like wordperfect to edit it or is there an easier way?Not got much knowledge(as you can see) with PDFS.

Many Thanks

Reggie x

Advertisements

Dizzycare

Dizzycare

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It depends on how the document was scaned or converted in pdf. If you have acrobat reader, you can select the text by clicking right/select all and then CTRL C ; open word then CTRL V; your text will be available for corrections.

Will it help to convert your pdf into HTML? see www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

other try: Solid converter pdf... don't know if I can say that but it is a software easy to find... however if I remember well, when converting, you will have to reformat the text...

Hope this help
dz

regevans

regevans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks! Still struggling though as when I convert the file it doesn't like it when I try and open it again in Reader-seems to be some kind of conversion problem. I get an error message saying "It is not a supported file or it may have been damaged". All I did was change the security settings in the converter, save it then open it in Acrobat.

I really want the document to look like a PDF so copying it into word isn't that good an option. I know that this is the whole reason that people use PDFs sometimes (ie so 3rd parties can't change them) but there must be some other way.

Help very much appreciated!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, not sure if this is the direction you want to go. Are you trying to password protect to control access to those files, password protect to encrypt the files, or password protect to prevent unauthorized editing?

The full version of adobe acrobat allows editing, assigning of rights, and various other things that can be done. WHile this is an expensive option, I'm not sure what your trying to password protect.

regevans

regevans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Ijust need to password protect documents to prevent unauthorised access,ta :-)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this is suitable

eXpert PDF 3

Security features include support for 128-bit RC4 encryption, password protection, and various other controls (you can disallow printing, for example). And you can configure documents with all the usual tags (Creator, Author, Title and more).

Fill in the details here

http://www.avanquest...ertpdf/register

You should then get the serial number and a download link