Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiring assistance.

• Please log in to reply

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey guys. I was just upgrading the hardware in my computer (updating the motherboard, processor and video card). I have everything connected fine. Until I got to the power, reset, led lights connector. My original one does not fit the next slot in my new motherboard so I have to head out and buy a new head for it I guess, but I do now know what it is called. I found a picture of it but I am not sure if it is the correct name. So I was wondering if you guys could help me identify it and say where I can get one at. Posted Image

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-Jan 31st 2007

This is the – System Panel Connector – which connects your Motherboard to all of your Front Panel Indicators – Switches & other Goodies – Usually it would be a 20 Pin Connector –

Looks like your new Motherboard is for a – Server Work Station – Does your Case have the 2 – Ethernet LEDs - ?? That is what the extra 4 pins control –

Your Manual should describe requirements & support information – Also you should visit the Motherboard website – look for – Accessories Page – Requirement Page – Support Page –

I would need to have more – Info on your Update System -

(1) Manufacturer & Model Number of Motherboard
(2) Manufacturer & Model Number Case
(3) Probably would be helpful to know info on – Old Equipment – that is being updated

Maybe browse thru the – System Building & Upgrading Forum – Just south of – Hardware –
on Geeks 2 Go - You may see similar issues –

It just appears that your case lacks support for this Motherboard/Main Board – We just need to identify where problem is – Post back the requested info & I can give you more details -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 31 January 2007 - 08:14 PM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Actually the picture that I found was not an "exact" image of what mine looks like. Mine only has 20 pin holes, 10 on top of each other. My old motherboard came from the old Dell Dimension 2350, but the new one is a MSI MB K8TNEO-V. My processor is upgraded from a INTEL P4 to a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754. Do you know where I can go and purchase a System Panel Connector?

MSI MB K8TNEO-V
Part# BL3000K8TNV
SKU# 337506
Mft Part Number: 7032-020 K8T NEO-V

Edited by Lambert Nguyen, 31 January 2007 - 08:35 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-Jan 31st 2007

My old motherboard came from the old Dell Dimension 2350

Dell is a – Proprietary Manufacturer – which means that they have their own – Standards

I would be Concerned – about the – Power Connector – Dell has changed the – Pin Configuration –I do not know if MSI manufacturers Dell Replacement Boards with Dell’s Layout & specification –

Are you using a – Dell Case ?? – and Original Dell provided Power Supply?? If you are – BEWARE -

What is different about this System Connector? – This may be an – Omen – I hate to have you burn out your new Motherboard – Give me more details on – exactly – your replacement process – And what about the Power Supply – Is it adequate & is it a Dell Specified Wiring ? Also you may need more cooling when you do significant changes –

You may be OK – but when things look different – they may be wired different – Dell is just another – 4 Letter Word to me –
Give me a complete list of your changes – I will research the specifications for compatibility – Give me more details on the PC Case/s – PC Power Supply/ies –

It will take me a day or two – after I have the info – I know you are anxious to complete the upgrade – but I think you need to consider the error possibility – here

Jack123

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am not using an original Dell case or Power Supply. About half a year ago or something, I got a new case as a present. So I switched everything from the Dell case, over into the new case. And it also came with a new power supply as well, 450 Watts. When I got my new case, I just plugged the power supply into my motherboard and it was fine. So I think the power supply is good I hope? Here's the link to my case.
http://www.microcent...oduct_id=232152

The difference between the connectors, is that for my old motherboard, it use to be like a solid 2 lines each with 10 pin slots, like the picture from my first post. But the new motherboard has it so it's not in a straight line, About two rows 4 pins in a group, then the other half is adjacent to it with 2 rows of 5 pins. The one going down is labeled JFP1, and the one going across is JFP2.
oo
oo
oo
oo
oo

oooo
oooo

Here was my way of trying to draw it out >.<. But i found a download of the manual online.
http://us1.msi.com.t...u/M7032v1.1.zip
I don't know if you're going to download it, but if you do, on page 5 is a layout of my motherboard. On the bottom right corner, I don't know if you can see it, but there are two slots and that's where the frontpanel connectors are supposed to go.

I just actually copied and pasted the connector section from the .pdf right after posting. So this part is an edit. Here is my new motherboards layout of the frontpanel connectors.
Posted Image
And my old Dell one just went in a row like this:
oooooooooo
oooooooooo

Edited by Lambert Nguyen, 01 February 2007 - 10:15 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-Feb 1st-2007

Ok – describe what the – Case Mating Connectors – from Front Panel look like - Usually they are single connectors – How many do you have –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 01 February 2007 - 03:43 PM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
What do you mean Case Mating Connectors?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-Ground Hog Day-2007

What do you mean Case Mating Connectors?

I mean the Harness – [Bundle of Wires] – That are attached to your Front Panel Components – that Connect to the to JFP-1 & JFP2 Connectors on the Motherboard – You showed photo/sketch of the Motherboard Connectors – I want to see what connector/s you are trying to connect them with –

The Link to your Tower – I could not see that harness too well – But it looked like there were several individual connectors – Usually the 2 LEDs – Power Switch – Reset Switch – are separate wiring – The USB – Audio – LAN – Firewire – Connectors plug into their own Header Assembly -

It looks as if your new Motherboard supports more – Front Panel Components – than the your old board – See the way it goes – The Case Manufacturer is responsible for the – Wire Harness & Connectivity – for – Front Panel – Power Supply Wiring – Fan Wiring – Drive Wiring – Peripheral wiring – to the Motherboard – The Motherboard provides the – Peripheral Support – and provides a Motherboard Connection –

You probably have some additional Front Panel connectors that were included in the – Box – that your Case came in –

Apparently your Case & Old Motherboard were Compatible – And this is my concern about the Dell – Being that the Power Supply was supplied with the Case – it was also compatible with the Dell – No Problem –

However – The Case & Power Supply may not be compatible with New Motherboard – This gets us back to my issues noted in my 2nd post – I know that the Case & PS stated – ATX Compatible – but Dell has had different ATX Standards in the past -

Dell is a – Proprietary Manufacturer – which means that they have their own – Standards

It looks as if your Power Supply Connector is a 20 Pin connector - ?? Is there a second Power Connector also??
If so how many pins -

I would like to settle this compatibility Issue – before making adapter connectors – There is a reason for the connection issue –

Post back answers to Power Supply Connectors –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 03 February 2007 - 09:13 AM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
THe wires coming out of the power supply only has a 20-pin connector, and on the motherboard, there is only a connecting head for a 20-pin connector.

And for the frontpanel question you asked me, There are 6 wires that need to be connected. each with a positive and negative, so 3 groups of wires with 2 in each, the LED power light, the power switch, and reset switch.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-Ground Hog Day-2007

And for the frontpanel question you asked me, There are 6 wires that need to be connected. each with a positive and negative, so 3 groups of wires with 2 in each, the LED power light, the power switch, and reset switch.

OK –
3 groups of wires – with 2 wires per group – for a total of 6 wires –

Do all 6 wires terminate into – just 1 connector – or does each group terminate into 2 pin connectors -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 03 February 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
All 6 of the wires go into 1 20-pin connector.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-3rd Feb-2007

Front Panel Connection Terminology –

Motherboard Connection – are rows of Male pins soldered on Motherboards – that come in – Single or Dual Rows – The spacing may be 0.1-Inch or 0.2-Inch spacing – These are known as – Pin Header Assembly –

Harness Connections - These are the – Plug Type – Connectors with wires attached – They are called –
Terminal Housing – They come in Single or Dual and also have 0.1-Inch or
0.2-Inch Spacing -
__________________________________________________________________________________

To modify the existing 20 Pin Connector – You need to obtain

(1) - 10 Pin – [Terminal Housing] that matches JFP1 Pin Header Assembly
(2) – 8 Pin [Terminal Housing] that matches JFP2 Pin Header Assembly
(3) – Pin Extractor for removing 6 wires of the existing 20 Pin Terminal Housing –

Then it is just a matter of extracting the wires from the existing 20 pin connector & inserting them in the proper 10 pin & 8 pin Terminal Housing

Seems to me – That you should have 8 wires ???

See Attached Thumbnail – wiring sketch – 01_FRONT_PANEL_WIRING_Sm.jpg

I think there are single Terminal Housing connectors terminated with a 8-Inch wire with pin that will mate with the 20 Pin Connector – (You would need 6 of these) – to make an adapter cable –

See thumbnail - Single_connectors.jpg

If you work in company that has Office Computers – Maybe you can check with one of the – Network Techs –
or stop in & chat with a Computer Repair Shop – Or if you have a – Hobby Electronics Store – in your Area-

Jack123
http://www.jammaboar...tors/cat_4.html

http://www.jameco.co...e...1&langId=-1

Edited by Jack123, 03 February 2007 - 02:33 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-3rd Feb-2007

Check the color coding of your 20 Pin Power Supply Connector with this sketch –

Jack123

PC_ATX_20_PIN_POWER_PLUG_1.jpg

Edited by Jack123, 13 February 2007 - 12:17 PM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Check the color coding of your 20 Pin Power Supply Connector with this sketch –

My colors are exactly like that, except where you put it says "white", there is not a wire for me where it says "white".

Edited by Lambert Nguyen, 03 February 2007 - 08:41 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
08- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-4th Feb-2007

My colors are exactly like that, except where you put it says "white", there is not a wire for me where it
says "white".

That is fine –

It is an older Voltage, that is not necessary today – The smaller Form Factor Supplies – SFX – do not
include the [–5 Volts] – It was shown for – Backward Capability –

If your – Power Wiring – Matched everywhere else – Then you are OK – Sorry for dragging that issue into your Post – but I am an – Old Coal Miner – That was taught to – Tread Softly &
Watch the Canary – Warnings –

Jack123