Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't locate my IDE hard drive

• Please log in to reply

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok, I'm helping out a friend of mine by trying to copy files off his old hard drive and burn them onto a cd. It is a western digital IDE hard drive with about 6GB of memory. I start my computer (a dell Dimension 4700, with XP, 2.8gz P4, 512mb RAM) and the bios recognizes the hard drive. When I load XP the drive wont show up under my computer or under device manager. Any ideas?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Have you made sure that his drive is set to slave and yours is set to master???

have you forced the detection in the bios???

troppo

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
it is not showing under device manager(devmgmt.msc) but is it showing under disk manager(diskmgmt.msc) seeing that it is a harddrive

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Click Start, Control Panel, Computer Management.
Under Disk Mangment, see if the drive is present like the other drives.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Have you formatted the drive because if its not formatted under the NTSC format or FAT32 then windows will not see the drive at all

go to teh one which sees the drive and select the formatt option

troppo

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, formatting the drive would be the worst possible idea, since he's trying to get the existing data from it...
Be sure it's set to Slave. Since it was previously a drive on a Windows system, it has to be NTFS or FAT32. Jumpering the drive properly will probably fix the issue.

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I apologize for not replying sooner. I followed troppo's advice and changed the jumber on the back to slave and low and behold it worked. I didn't realize if you had a SATA and a IDE that the IDE had to be set to slave. My bad. Thanks for all the help

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
sorry didnt realise he was trying to keep the data :whistling:

replying to to many similar posts lol

sorry for the confussion

troppo