Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 Installation / BIOS Memory Hardware Issues

• Please log in to reply

Random User #402

Random User #402

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I'm running a Dell XPS 400, previously running Windows Media Edition, and two or so weeks ago I began to get Blue Screens of Death a short while in when I started the computer. I had just installed a new game, and that was really the only program I had tried to launch since, so I uninstalled it to get no results. I also tried reinstalling several of fmy drivers, none of which worked, Eventually the computer stopped getting very far in to launching before I would get a BSoD, so I decided to reformat the drive and upgrade to XP SP2.

Unfortunately, the Blue Screens of Death were not fixed by the reformat, resulting in me being unable to install the new operating system. I would also assume that this means that the problem is in the Hardware, not the Software, which I have even less experience with.

First off, because of some Windows Errors when the computer was still operational which pointed to the Video Card being an issue; I replaced it with another compatible card [an upgrade I was planning on making anyways] with no results.

Then there are the Blue Screens of Death;

The first was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, though I never did write down the Stop code.
The second one was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000020, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8080514549)

Check to make sure that any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Setup Options, and then Select Safe Mode.

Followed by the stop code and a message about a memory dump. My Computer BIOS is entirely unaltered, I would guess, considering that I don't even know how to activate it.

Is this problem easily fixable, or is it going to require more hardware replacements?

UPDATE: Now whenever I try to boot the installation from the Hard Drive [which previously would start, run for a while, then fail], either it shuts down right after the "Setup is being restarted..." message, or I get a message about the file lsass.exe being not found, and that Windows is going to shut down. Either way, the computer restarts, and cycles around and around if it's not turned off or nobody activates the Boot from CD function.

Edited by Random User #402, 31 January 2007 - 10:54 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'd say it's bad RAM or a failing hard disk.

Random User #402

Random User #402

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there any definitive way find out which piece of hardware is failing?