Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with windows installer

• Please log in to reply

Nothingface32

Nothingface32

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so i have been having problems the past few days with attempting to install programs that have a setup exe...when i begin the setup it goes through checking os, checking version of windows installer, then to configuring windows installer...from here (configuring windows installer phase) it just closes--no error no message it just closes entirely, nothing in tasks for nothing at all--thing is i havent installed nething for a while so i dont know how long it has been like this--i have ran programs to get rid of spyware, malware, virus's etc with no luck and ive attempted registry fixes in vain...so now im getting fairly impatient as ive search around alot for this problem but it seems generally i would get an error message of some sorts but im not so now im turning to help here, anyone have any idea whats wrong here

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Windows Installer creates entries in the Windows event log.

To view the log, do the following:

Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer.

Review the application log for Windows Installer entries. Look for red X errors. Double click on the error to open Event Properties. In "Description" there is a blue link for more info. Also take note of the Event ID. You can Google the Event ID to get more info. on the error.

Nothingface32

Nothingface32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hmm thanks for the response but when using the event viewer none of the red x errors correspond or r relavant to the installshield configuring windows installer shut down -- times dont correspond, error not relavant etc. any ideas?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what version of windows installer do you have
you can try this one

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

also try this

start
all programs
accessories
system tools
disk cleanup
run it and click ok
then click yes to confirm

Nothingface32

Nothingface32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well for the download u gave me i got this

---------------------------
MSI30-KB884016 Setup Error
Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system
is newer than the update you are applying.

There is no need to install this update.
OK

so it appears im fine there and i have alreaday ran a disk clean up again thanks for the response but this problem is fairly odd--cant seem to figure out that problem =\