Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Hard Drive failed... Trying to get back my data...

• Please log in to reply

diego_in5

diego_in5

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, my hard drive died on me... and XP won't boot. Interestingly, when I pop the drive into an external enclosure, and turn it on inside of XP, it causes the computer to crash, and restart. I spent some time searching these forums for some help, but figured after about 15 minutes, that I should start my own post.

I would love to do this recovery myself, as the data is not worth what most companies are charging to do the service for me.

Can anyone offer me some pointers as to where I might begin, given the strange crashing symptom?

Any and all help appreciated.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
One thing that you might try is to use Linux to read the disk. I am not sure if Knoppix Live CD can read NTFS filesystems, but if not there are other versions that do. It might allow you to read the files.

jake_us9

jake_us9

• Pip
  • 7 posts
It could be bad sectors / damage to partition table or file system structure in such away that it will hang the system. I suggest downloading manufacture disk drive test or you can try the partition repair/data recovery software by “Salvage Data Recovery Lab Inc”. You can find it easily if you just run a search in google its name… Instructions are clear while installing. Connect your drive as secondary drive on the system (not external) / or even primary and let that software run. That at least will let you know if drive is ok.