Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does anyone know what this object is?

• Please log in to reply

cateyest

cateyest

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all :whistling:

I have a small object that a friend of mine found and we've racked our brains trying to figure out what it is. The clip appears to be made of silver and has intricate details stamped on it. There is no mark or writing of any kind. Does anyone have any idea what it is or might have been at one time?

Here's the link to the picture:

http://img372.images...whatisitou5.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lucy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
looks like a decorative clip...being that tiny i don't know what it could be used for...maybe holding curtains back? or a REALLY ugly necklace?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I agree, a decorative clip... You can see the hinges on it, where it could pry open...

Where did you find it?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 21,803 posts
  • MVP

looks like a decorative clip...being that tiny i don't know what it could be used for...maybe holding curtains back? or a REALLY ugly necklace?

Ok, that's a guy for you. There's no way that would be for curtains - it's way too small, and curtain accessories do not look like that (well, maybe in monkey land they do).

That's very curious, but I'm afraid I have no idea either. I was trying to thing of small cylindrical objects you might hold with that, but couldn't come up with anything. I also looked for online antiques forums, but didn't find anything that looked helpful or useable. I would suggest taking it to an antique shop, if you have any around you. Usually the owner of a place such as that is familiar with all sorts of odd objects, and if they don't know, they may know someone else who does.

Good luck, and if you find out, let us know - I'm quite curious.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think i recognise it but i cant place what its for, its either for holding a rabbits foot or other assorted lucky charms, or i have an inkling its something to do with babies but that could be completely wrong and im thinking of something else i saw once.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
The small chain suggests to me that it would be put on perhaps a key ring! And if so it would be someething probably used regularly. Where it opens - are the surfaces on both sides sharp - like for cutting something?

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I agree with Sari, I think its for holding cylinder/rounded objects, like that coin next to it in the image.

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I dont know how this got onto this site but o well. . .

I think I might know what it is,

Im pretty sure its a tie clip
I got 1 for Christmass from some un heard of realitive
She said it was her husbands
I didnt know who she was but o well,
Mine looks like a pin with one of those end things that you poke into.
it has a 1.5" golden chain and some gems or something.

i attached a pic.

Just google image search 4 tie clip

Heres some type of tie clip (many different types)

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• CIMG0713.JPG

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

I have a small object that a friend of mine found

Have you put up lost and found posters? Or handed it into your local police station?
Perhaps the rightfull owner could identify it for you.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im sure they mean found, as in found in the boxes of old crap we have in our attics labelled miscellaneous.

Advertisements

cateyest

cateyest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Everyone :whistling:

To settle the mystery of where it came from - my friend and I work for a transfer station, which is where everyone brings their garbage and unloads it in a large building, then it's loaded onto tractor trailers and shipped to a landfill. It can be a stinky job for my friend since he's outside around all the garbage, but I work inside making weight tickets and collecting money, so I'm all comfy. Anyway, people bring in loads of junk they're getting rid of, and the particular box this item was in was a rubbermaid shoebox full of crayons, markers, and McDonald's toys (like someone had given it to a small child to play with at some time).

We do make an attempt to find the rightful owner of things we think may have been thrown away accidently, like class rings. Or if someone calls and says they mistakenly threw away something, we'll try to find it if there's any chance we still have it (chances aren't good since we ship out 100 - 150 tons every day). Our guys don't go through everything, just the occasional box that looks interesting. I'm still surprised at what some people throw away - money, jewelry, etc. - but that's a whole new subject.

If this is a tie clip of some sort, it must be ancient because it would be really bulky on a shirt or tie. I did the google search, but after about 12 pages, still didn't see anything similar. If you have one like it, I'd love to see a picture if you can post one.

The ends where it clamps together aren't sharp. They're bent back onto themselves making a blunt surface where they meet. Also, you can clamp it on your finger, and the hold is maybe half as strong as a regular clothes pin.

My bunnies would be very upset to find out it holds a rabbit's foot, especially if I came near them with it :blink:

If it's supposed to be a necklace, you're right, it would be a really ugly one - and I'd never be in style if that's the case, even a hundred years ago - lol.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and ideas. Thanks so much for trying.

Lucy :help:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you have any antique shops nearby, you might consider bringing it in. Even a jeweler might know what it is.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Check that part out properly. Did you noticed that there's spring over there? perhaps some kinda pegs... and to support my idea, (take a good look at the bottom pic) it's gotta .... something like meh

http://i125.photobuc...t/Picture11.jpg

cateyest

cateyest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Many thanks to everyone here for trying to help me solve my mystery! An answer has been found and I had to share it with all of you nice people :whistling:

After a couple of people suggested asking an antique dealer, I tried to figure out where to find one in my area. After a few minutes of thought and not knowing of any antique stores in my area, I went to the eBay antique forum and posted there.

A very nice person posted this answer:

That's a complete set of glove clips. The chain is too small to have been used as a bracelet, so it would likely have been used to attach to either a chatelaine or possibly a purse handle.

Glove clips were still being made in the '50s and '60s.

For those of you that don't know what a chatelaine is - neither did I - here's what dictionary.com says:

a hooklike clasp or a chain for suspending keys, trinkets, scissors, a watch, etc., worn at the waist by women.

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Big Hugs,
Lucy :blink:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Nice work :whistling: