Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I would like a CD Writer (external) recommendation

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
OK.. I have an HP Pavilion a1020n with Windows XP with the LightScribe DVD/CD Writer.

I purchased Power Burner and Karaoke Sound Tools software.

My dvd/cd drive will rip and the Karaoke Sound tools altered the songs to key I needed.

However, when I went to burn those songs to a blank CD-R (Memorex LightScribe CD-R) it stops in the middle of the process (actually 20% into the write lead-in).

The techs that sold me the software have tried everything. And we went down their troubleshooting list and addressed all possible problems. The techs are really nice, but they simply don't have any more answers for me except to purchase a burner.

Obviously, since this is strickly for personal use...I don't want to spend a bundle. I mean I am a good singer, but (after) it is karaoke.

Office Depot has a Sony CD burner that is $44.00.

They recommend 3 that are a good bit more expensive. (No, they don't sell them.)

Any suggestions ....

THANKS !!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I like using the Lite-on drives and have never had any problems with them.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106996

SRX660

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
the cheapest external you could get would be around maybe 60 for a dvd burner which would be nice, but i would recommend getting an external enclosure case and just getting an internal drive instead- its cheaper, relativly the same speed and its very easy to upgrade later on down the road

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks so much. If I go the Lite route...I will let you know how it does!
Karaoke Pilot sells a Power Burner (brand new) made for Power Karaoke software on Ebay. He has an excellent rating. I have a bid in on one of his for $28.00. If I don't win that bid, I will go the Lite route!

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Just to let you folks know....I did not win the bid on Ebay for the Power Burner they offered...so I did go with a Lite On. It is the 16X External Super Allwrite. I paid more than I intended ($79.00) ...but I pick it up at Office Depot and got the OK from the manager to be able to return it if it did not work. I had a $10 coupon so that helped a little. I liked being able to buy it locally and have their support if I needed it.

Anyway, I plugged it in. And it worked!!! I now have burned (and sung every song) on my first master karaoke disk~!!!~ I made a second master just for back up.

I use a VOCO Pro Bravo and it played on it perfectly.

Thanks so much for your direction. This 50+ year old would not have had the nerve to do that without knowing you folks were here to catch me if I fell.