Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with saving visual basic 6 data / variables

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
hi all, im making this vb program for my a level coursework and it involves storing a load of data for different people, like name and adress etc. I could have used access for it, but ive been learning vb recently and would like to try it. How can i store these fields so that when i quit vb and load it up again. The records for the different people are still there. Can you save them to a text file and then tell vb to fetch the information from a certain line of the file? Any help to make this work would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Phil

Phil

IRC Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 21 posts
You should really use a database with your programme. VB will integrate with access quite well and will also integrate with MySQL, Postgre etc. with an ODBC.

If you don't want to use a database on the back end, you can just use a flat file system which will act as a database using separator characters between fields and users.

The database option is massively easier and more efficient. I don't really like access as a RDBMS but as the backend of a VB project it isn't too bad.

~Phil~