Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

svchost.exe took over my processor.

• Please log in to reply

I have quite a few problems right now. I have read the 'read before posting' information. The problems started at th beginning of the week. Everything may be related to my downloading of some software last week in an attempt to recover some lost files on a floppy, and I think some bad guys snuck onto my computer in the install process. I'll list my problems first and then list what I have tried so far.

1. The processor is busy all the time. 'svchost.exe' is using up all of the processor's time. When I try to end svchost.exe(the instance that using everyting up) in Task Manager a window pops up saying the system is restarting in 60 seconds.

2. I can't copy and paste anything.

3. I am having problems accessing certain web pages. I can't download some items also.

I have downloaded and ran several programs as mentioned in the 'read before posting...' topic. I have ran Spybot, Adaware-SE, Housecall online scan, CWShredder v. 2.13, the WinsockXPFix, and the AVG scan. Some of them found and removed/fixed several things, and others found nothing. I tried to download the XP sp 2 but I can't get to the update page on Microsoft's site.

I can't copy and paste anything so I attached the 'Hijack This' log to this post. I have struggled for a week now, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

Attached Files