Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Site Ads

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
WOW! I haven't been on in a couple of days, and as soon as I got on I noticed a number of things were gone and replaced with ads. I know it requires money to run and maintain a site like this, but it seemed to be running fine when GTG didn't have all these ads. I just thought I'd leave some feedback about how the site is doing.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You are correct. It costs quite a lot of money to run and properly maintain a site this large. We instituted the ads as unobtrusively as possible, in order to help defray expenses...while trying not to interrupt our level of quality service. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its an expensive site to run and the ads have always been unobtrusive. GTG has also had some ads since as long as i can remember.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
What ads?
edit: Never mind I found them...

Edited by sarahw, 02 February 2007 - 06:03 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What changed? We replaced one 768x90 ad block with two 300x250 ads. Nothing was removed.

Why? I received an email from Google requesting that we try the new ad size. Video ads are latest trend in online advertising, and advertisers are requesting more of them. 300x250 is the most common video ad size.

This site is fully supported by advertising, and has used Google ads for about three years. Over that time they have become very prevalent on the web. I think many people are getting the same blindness to them as they do banners. Click through rates and revenue has dropped steadily. Video ads and the 300x250 ad size offer a welcome change... And when Google talks, you listen. :whistling:

I still haven't decided if we'll keep them. So far, they have performed slightly better. If we keep them, they will likely be moved. We'll work to integrate them into the site better, and they will be shown only to guests.

Hope this answers your concerns.