Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with McAffee

• Please log in to reply

shotgunweddingx7

shotgunweddingx7

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I hope this is the right place to put this. But anyway.

So recently, my brother, the technological genius that he is, decided to put an internet block through McAffee so I couldn't log onto his computer and read his files. So he made an account (non-administrative) and now it won't let him log in or log out, leading to the fact that he can't connect to the internet, either.

And then he decided that maybe it would be a good idea to try and uninstall McAffee altogether. So he uninstalled everything except Privacy Center and Firewall, because those were the only two things he couldn't install without being on an administrator's account.

I've tried reconnecting the internet (LAN connection), but that's not working, and I really don't know what to do. So help would definitely be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Let's try running a System Restore...
Now, we want to run a System Restoration to the day before McAfee was installed. This should clean out all McAfee files.

Start in Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key as soon as you turn on the computer. You can perform the System Restoration there by selecting Safe Mode (you have a choice between Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt), and then pressing enter on the operating system you are using. The system will load a bunch of drivers and such (may seem scary at first) and then you will see a normal looking login screen. Click on the Administrator user name. That account will now start. You will be asked if you want to run System Restore, or continue in Safe Mode. I would say to run a restore first.

Now, you will see a window appear that give you two options... (1) Restore my Computer to an earlier time (2) Create a restore point.

Make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" has a bullet point next to it, and click on Next. You will now be presented with a calendar. Click on the day before McAfee was installed, and click on a time if necessary. Click on Next.

You will now see a confirmation screen. Make sure that the date and time (outlined in red) are correct, and click on Finish. The computer will now restart. Before turning off, you will see a progress meter. This shows how far along the restore is. It may be a little slow, so be patient. The system will now restart.

See if you can login and use the internet. This is the most common and simple way of fixing things.

Good luck! :whistling: