Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Registry Editors

• Please log in to reply

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I am no expert when it comes to the Registry. So I am wondering, are automatic Registry Editors, such as Registry Mechanic good to be used on the registry? If so, can some who has decent knowledge on this subject direct me to a decent free automatic Registry Editor? Thanks, everyone, :whistling:.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 01 February 2007 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There isn't a Registry Editor that can automatically edit it in terms of adding lines or modifying entries (that requires manual input), but they can check it for errors and redundant entries then offer to automatically remove them all. This ensures that the Registry does not get bigger and bigger with useless entries, and also reduces the risk of a program error or a program not running at all.

I use one called 'RegSupreme'. It's never damaged my Registry by removing something it shouldn't have, and I can therefore recommend it:
http://www.macecraft.com/regsupreme/

I don't know of any reliable free ones. There's a registry cleaner included with the free general cleanup tool 'CCleaner' but it's registry cleaner component has caused problems for some according to what I've read elsewhere, so I only use it for a general cleanup of junk files: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

Edited by pip22, 02 February 2007 - 05:39 AM.

h_mike

h_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Yea, thats what I mean it automatically checks for errors. Ok, anyways thanks though.