Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google will not load [IE/FF]

• Please log in to reply

eRyan

eRyan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone, first post here..

I did search my topic, but I'm looking for a clearer explaination! I'm only 16.. so I don't really know a lot about this stuff.

Heres the deal. A week ago, I made the mistake of going to seriall.com to find a serial code for a program for my Blackberry. After the download, my system was hijacked; I'm sure you've all heard the story a thousand times - home page turned to sex.com, desktop background changed, fake program claiming that the computer is infected.

Well, I finally was able to change the home page from sex.com. Then, I FINALLY removed the fake program with smitfraud, or whatever it's called.

Now, I'm pretty sure that my last and final problem was caused by the seriall.com virus, as it happened right when all the other stuff happened.

I go to google.com on internet explorer, and get this:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If you still cannot open the page, click the Internet Explorer
Search button to look for similar sites.

Internet Explorer

I go to google.com on FireFox, and get this:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at google.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I am now forced to use Google South Africa www.google.co.za .. works the same, but I'd like to be able to use google.com!

Hopefully someone can help me, without telling me to download or use this program "HijackThis" that I've heard of -- I really don't want to mess with my system!

Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance..

Ryan

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like you've got a nasty bug of some sort.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting the "all-clear" from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Being 16 is no reason to be stupid! I'm 15 :whistling:.

Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > *TICK* Automatically Detect Settings. OK, OK, try again.