Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP wont allow me to enter!

• Please log in to reply

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I cant access my XP! Whenever I tried to access it, it will say "press ctrl, alt and delete to restart. And it also won't allow me to boot from CD. Is there any solution or must I send this com to the shop?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is an outside chance

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

What error do you get if you try to start from the CD

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
(It was my friend's computer) Thus, this is what she said "The F8 button will not work and if it enters Window, it will jam at the logon screen" and "When I tried to boot from the CD, the first dialog would be 'setup is inspecting your computer' or something like that. Then, it would go blank [a black screen appears]"

Is the hard disk corrupted, in this case since the Windows is un-enterable?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you keep tapping the delete key as you start the PC, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter to reboot

Try tapping F8 or F5 if it doesn't load to the desktop

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Kay... I'll try the BIOS default, but the F8 thing before Windows starts is useless now.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
It's not working too... so, what's next? the computer shop?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Have you ever opened a PC case?

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
If you'd asked me, yes (oh, I did not close it anymore since it's quite old, so it might need the "fresh air" to cool it) but I dunno bout her, most probably yes.
Besides, would it be possible to reformat it if I'd take the damaged hard disk and place it as a secondary hard disk?
(example: My friend's computer, computer A cannot access Win XP. My computer IS usable. I add her hard disk as a secondary hard disk and access the boot disk. Will the idea work?)
P/S: I will tell you the result of the Memtest after I got the result...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could add it to get the data off, then wipe the drive to clean install

http://www.askbobran...hard_drive.html

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

I began to have some issues with my Windows XP. So I ran Norton to see if there were any viruses. Up-dated my windows, and rebooted. I rebooted, and from there, things just kept getting worse. now I can't even get windows to start.

I get this error message fter my bios load

Missing NTLDR
Press Ctrl-Alt-Dlt to restart

I tried to reload windows from the CD, but it won't load the setup screen. I changed the boot order, I even downloaded the Windows Floppy to CD-ROM Booster. Same problem.

Missing NTLDR
Press Ctrl-Alt-Dlt to restart

I have tried to just load a fresh copy of windoes on my IDE HDD instead of the SATA HDD, same problem.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

Good Luck

ScottR

Where can I get the Startup diskette (on the internet)? Cos the prob's the same (maybe almost)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the usual way

Windows XP users

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

It may be this though

http://support.micro....com/kb/307545/

Or you can get the set up discs here, check to get the set which apply to the version of XP CD you will be using

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
But the setup screen is not accessible... it will go blank after the "Setup is inspecting your computer" dialog

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Then the third option (floppy boot discs) is probably the way to repair it now

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
The boot diskette is unusable since the hard disk partition is NTFS. Thus, I'm using two hard disk to attempt to reformat the hard disk. And I'll tell ya the conclusion after I tried.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Yeahh..... the conclusion: I used my hard disk as the primary master and my friend's hard disk as the primary slave. Then, I was able to access the hard disk and back up the data that was in it. The end... (close thread?)

*To everyone that is reading this thread, if you still <3 your data, I recommend you to use FAT32 as your system... you can use bootable diskette to save it, just like in my case. Tata~

**And one mo thing, thanks, Keith!

Edited by simon_shaft, 22 February 2007 - 08:13 AM.