Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd-drive not working

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hi
I can't get my new dvd-drive to work. I've plugged it in ok with the ide cable and power cable but it won't do anything. Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Unless it's one of the new SATA drives, it will have a little black jumper on the rear panel which needs to be set in accordance with how your system is configured. In other words, if it's sharing the same ide cable with another optical or hard drive, the jumper should be set to 'slave' if the other drive on that cable is set to 'master' (basically, you can't have two masters or two slaves on the same cable.

If your new dvd-drive is going to be the only drive on that particular IDE-cable, the jumper should be set to master.

There should be a little diagram at the rear of the drive, showing which pins need to "jumpered" to configure it as either 'master' or 'slave'
The diagram usually has only one letter as follows:
C or CSEL=Cable Select (ignore this as it doesn't work on some systems)
S= Slave
M=Master

One last point. If it is sharing with another drive, it's best to have the 'master' drive attached to the end connector on the cable, with the slave drive connected to the middle one.

Edited by pip22, 02 February 2007 - 02:38 PM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Sorry, I should have said it's not brand new and it work ok in my other computer...so i'm baffled.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Ok It works now, thanks pip. One more question, can you connect an optical drive and a floppy drive on the same IDE cable?