Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi all.

My problem is that my computer automatically downloads updates and it has happened more than twice already that these updates need to restart the computer and when im not around the thing restarts by itself closing whatever programs i have running..

I went to the Automatic Updates tab under System Properties to modify my settings but everything is grayed out.

I then clicked on the help button to get more info about it and this is what it says:

What if....

-My Automatic Updates options are grayed out?

If your computer is part of a network, your network administrator might have configured your Automatic Updates options for you. Network administrators often need to implement systemwide changes to help make sure that the network operates smoothly and more securely whenever changes, such as updates, are applied. Your options might also be grayed out if you are not an administrator for your computer. Only administrators can add or remove programs, including updates.

Well, now 2 things, first, i'm the only user on my pc, ths i have only one account and im sure it has administrator privileges, second, i'm in fact part of a network, but it is only 2 computers, my pc and a mac. I guess the options being grayed out have something to do with the network part. Now, who is the network administrator then ?, where can i find that account? I've looked i both computers and have found nothing related to a network administrator.

Any ideas on what can i do, it is just annoying that everytime there's an important update the machine will reboot by itself without me being able to do anything about it.

Btw, i'm running Windows Xp Pro sp2.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have a reliable antivirus and/or antispyware software installed and running? If you have any inkling that you're infected, please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

Here are a couple of links with some things to do to get Automatic Update options back.

*** Editing the registry can be risky. Always back up the registry key (right click, export) or set a system restore point before making any registry changes.

Also confirm that your account is still in the Administrator security group. Click Start, Run, and type in control userpasswords2. You could try adding another Windows account (in the Administrator group), logging in with that new account, and trying to change the Automatic Update settings. If that account works, you can make it your account, copy all the settings and documents from your old account, and delete the old account.

Please post the results.