Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless laptop can't see wired desktop on network

• Please log in to reply

dawn

dawn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Wireless Vista can't see XP wired desktop anyplace but on the full network map. On the map I can see the whole network correctly. I can't see the XP desktop on the Network page only the laptop itself shows up.

Both computers are set up with same workgroup name. Both can access the internet without issue. On XP can see the laptop but can't access it even though I have shared it.

Router is a US Robotics with USB Print Hub Model 5461A. Currently the printer is plugged into the XP desktop and shared. Had plugged into the Router but the desktop couldn't see it so I plugged it back into XP and shared it because wanted to deal with this issue first.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Dawn :whistling:

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Go onto the desktop, hold down the Windows Key (the flag button on the keyboard) and hit R. This brings up a box, type "cmd" followed by return.

This now opens up another box that has a black background with white writing, type "ipconfig". Look for "Ethernet Adapter", then find "IP Address", copy that value - it should be something along the lines of 192.168.x.x.

Now, go onto the laptop, hold down the Windows Key and hit E. This brings up windows explorer, now click on the taskbar and type "\\" followed by the ip.

It should look something like this "\\192.168.0.3"

Then hit return, this should bring up the folders... does it?

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Supersam,

I found the address on the desktop did the Window button and "E". Put the IP address in the top taskbar line. Got an error saying can't display the webpage.
Diagnostics says: Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
Any suggestions?

Dawn

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Firstly you will need to do a few things, this will all be on the XP box.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard.

Next > Next > tick "Ignore Disconnected Hardware" > Next > Other > Next > Top option > Next > Next > Next > Turn *ON* file and printer sharing > Next > "Yes" - if prompted. Finish the wizard and choose "Just finish the wizard" at the end.

Now Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig - Now leave that open in the background.

Now Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click "Local Area Connection" > Properties > Scroll down and click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" > Properties.

Click "Use the following IP Address"

And put in the information from ipconfig in there. Click OK, and OK.

Now the IP address that is on that machine will never change. After you have done all of this you might need to reboot.

After rebooting, get the Vista laptop and try \\<IPHERE> again.