Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help accessing VPN

• Please log in to reply

Elyts

Elyts

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I'm new here, and in desperate need of some help.

For several weeks now my boss has been wanting me to use our VPN to access the office network from home. I finally downloaded the appropriate software (Checkpoint's SecuRemote), and had no trouble connecting to the correct IP address with the correct username and password.
However, I now have a big problem in that I have absolutely no clue how to access anything in the office.

I'm using Windows 98SE, on a computer I only have access to once a week (at weekends). I doubt it's relevant, but just in case, the computer has 224MB RAM, and broadband internet access.

When I open the SecuRemote main window it shows me the site with the options "Update Site", "Set Password", "Disable" and "Delete" available when I try right clicking on the site.

I would appreciate all and any help you can give me.

And in case it helps, I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see when I open the main window.
VPN_1.jpg

Thanks,
Elyts

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Let me understand what you've got---

From home, you are using a Windows 98SE computer. The VPN client is SecuRemote. Is this software supposed to establish the connection and provide remote control?

Is this software also installed on the host computer at the office?

What OS is on the host computer at the office?

Is the IP address you see in the SecuRemote window the IP address of your office?

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The software is supposed to establish remote access and as far as I am aware, also to provide remote control. That's the impression I was under. (It would all be made simple if I could get hold of my boss to ask him).

The software is installed on the host computer at the office, but I don't think it makes a difference because as far as I understand, the access is through the SBox we have at the office, and not through the individual computers (this is kind of a deduction based on the fact that all the IPs at the office are identical (I checked that this morning).

The OS of the computers (all of them) at the office is Windows XP, SP2.

And yes, the IP address I see in the SecuRemote window is the IP of the office.

Thanks for any help you can give me, by the way...

If there's any other info you need in order to help, just ask... :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not familiar with SecuRemote, but I did find the documentation (I think):
http://www.checkpoin...-14.0/vptoc.htm

It doesn't do me much good, since I don't have the software to play with. Maybe it will help you. If you have specific questions after reading the doc, please don't hesitate to post them.

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks! You already did better than me... :blink: I tried the checkpoint website loooking for the documentation but couldn't find it...

I'll see if that helps, and if not, I'll be back... :whistling:
(although possibly not til tomorrow, seeing as how it's after midnight here now...)

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for all the help.

I finally got through to my boss this morning who told me that the important thing was to actually get connected through the VPN.
Silly me didn't realise that a program like Remote Desktop (which, as far as i'm aware, I don't have on Windows 98) was needed to actually access the computer.

Thanks again!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Windows 98 does not include the Remote Desktop client, but you can download it from here.

If the workstation you need to connect to is not the one with the external IP address, you'll need the full computer name, i.e. computer1.domain.com. You can find this by right clicking My Computer, Properties, Computer Name.

If you have further questions, please post back.