Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean Install of Vista...

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi. I'm about to by a copy of Windows Vista Home Basic (Home Premium'd be a waste of money on this system) from Windows Marketplace and the tool says that I have to perform a clean-install. I'm not too sure how to go about that though, since the instructions [see here] aren't very clear on it. Would I have to burn the files to a DVD? :S

(Oh, and people say... there's no point in upgrading to Home Basic but I'm mainly interested in Search and ReadyBoost [I think that's what it's called], along with other stuff. The Aero sounds good, but I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if I don't have it. I'm going to install Home Premium on a more capable PC in the near future anyway, so I won't miss out.)

And, if I install Home Basic, will I be able to go back to Windows XP if there are any problems? It was installed on my laptop when I got it, and I have a CD with it a Recovery on. :S

Please help, the support I receive here is normally way better than that at a Customer Service Centre and I do appreciate all the times you've saved me from the computer problems. :whistling:

Michael

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can do a clean install without burning and booting from a DVD. However, if you have a burner, it would be good insurance to burn a copy in case something goes wrong.

Download Vista from Windows Marketplace and run from within your existing copy of Windows. Chose the clean install option. Provided you have enough disk space, Vista will be installed in a new Windows folder on your drive. After the installation is finished, you'll have the option to chose which version of Windows you want to boot to when starting.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Thanks :whistling:, but I don't want Vista any more. Windows Marketplace downloads aren't available to UK users.

And, with UK Prices of Vista being double the prices of Vista in the US (Utlimate is £350 here, which is about $700!!!!) it can wait till it comes down in price... a lot down in price.