Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network adapter trouble

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello, here's the problem right now. I bought an Airnet AWN108 PCMCIA wireless network card for my Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop, which is running Windows 98 Second Edition. I installed the driver and put the card in my laptop and it recognizes the card, but the laptop was stalling horribly, stopping for half a minute then working until I clicked something and it still couldn't connect to a network. My teacher and I had come up with a few ideas as to what could be wrong.

- A bad Windows 98SE driver and Windows just doesn't know.

- The laptop is too slow for the card.

- Windows 98SE just doesn't know how to use a wireless card.

- I just don't know how to properly configure it.

Also, just so you know, I am in a computer networking class at school, so you don't have to "dumb down" what you're saying, but I'm a complete newbie to wireless networking.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows 98SE is quite capable of using a wireless adapter.

It could be being blocked by the router's wireless encryption.

If the router is set up to use wireless encryption for security purposes, your wireless card software also needs have the same encryption settings entered into it. Two encryption types are in use, named WEP and WPA. Whichever one the router is using, the card software must also be set to the same type, and the encryption key entered and saved. The encryption key is often provided on a sticker underneath the router or on the documentation in it's packaging.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
That could be the problem, but that doesn't really explain how the wireless adapter is causing the computer to stall.