Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to place volume icon in the taskbar....

• Please log in to reply

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I'am trying to place my volume icon in the taskbar but can't. I go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio>Try to check the box that says "Plave Volume Icon In The Taskbar" and i get the following error:
Widnows cannot displat the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Seeing this I went to Add/Remove Programs and there is no option for me to install volume control.

Can someone please help me, I need to be able to access my volume control. I work a lot with music

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would try reinstalling your sound drivers. It looks like you do not have any sound drivers installed on the computer. What do you have if anything in the "sound, video, and game controllers" in device manager. There should be multiple entrys there like this.

Sound, video and game controllers
Audio Codecs
legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Video Codecs

SRX660

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Im not sure exactly where the device manager is, but if you mean the Hardware tap in my Sound and Audio I have the following...

*SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio
*Audio Codecs
*Legacy Audio Drivers
*Media Control Devices
*Legacy Video Capture Devices
*Video Codecs

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First look in the windows/system 32 folder for the file called sndvol32.exe. If it is there it may be corrupted. If you try replacing the file with a new one from a Windopws XP CD you will need to rename the old file to this - sndvol32.old. Then you can install a new file off the XP CD.

How to use the Windows recovery console.

Some important things to realize when using the Microsoft Windows recovery console.

1. You will need to know the Microsoft Windows administrator password.
2. Before running the Windows recovery console you need to realize you will need to have at least some experience using MS-DOS.
3. You only have access to root directory and the Microsoft Windows or Winnt directory. This means you cannot open any other directory.
4. You only have access to read from the floppy disk drive, CD-ROM drive, or other disc drive. This means you cannot copy information from the hard disk drive to another drive for backup. However, you can copy information from the CD-ROM or floppy disk drive to the hard disk drive.

First, to get into the Microsoft Windows recovery console you must have a Microsoft Windows CD, if your computer came with another restore or recovery cd it's possible the below steps my not apply to your CD. Place the Windows CD in your computer and boot from the CD.

Once in the Microsoft Windows Setup screen to repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R. Finally after you have entered the password you will be at a MS-DOS prompt similar to the MS-DOS shell window you can get through Windows. However, you will also have access to many additional commands not found in standard MS-DOS mode. This is your command prompt.

* Typing in help at the prompt will give a complete listing of all commands available through the prompt.

You may need to copy the sndvol32.exe image from your commercial XP installation CD (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session.
2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

You can then get out of the command session by typing in exit and hitting the enter key on the keyboard. Restart the computer( if it doesnt restart when you close the command prompt) and see if you have the sound volume icon.

SRX660

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i dont have a windows xp cd, i only have my computer....i left all of my cd's that came with my dell back home. i moved to florida to go to school, i need this volume bad.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have any sound at all

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
yes i have sound, but i know it could be louder. when i use heaphones for instance, i want to turn up the volume but have no control too...and like i said before i do a lot with music...so if u can please help me i would be so thankful

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
start control panel
system
hardware
device manager
any red or yellow marks
if there are
right click and update

start control panel sounds and audio

in all three drop menus make sure that they all are
realteck ac97 audio..defaults

do the same under voice tab

under volume tab go advanced and performance tab

make sure sliders are all the way

Edited by rushin1nd, 02 February 2007 - 09:24 PM.

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i do not have a realteck ac97 audio options...this is what i see:
Posted Image

it just says SoundMAX, Sorry its so small

Edited by CONNECTICUT, 03 February 2007 - 01:00 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download sndvol32.zip from HERE. Extract the sndvol32.exe file to your C:\Windows\System32 directory. Then try adding the volume icon to the taskbar again.

Fenor

CONNECTICUT

CONNECTICUT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
finally!!! thank u so much for ur help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts