Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck reloading Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmeasy

cmeasy

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I am trying to reload Windows XP on a HP Pavilion laptop. It continually stays on one screen,
Its at the windows setup screen, it says "setup is starting windows" and just hangs there.

I've tested the hard drive, its passed diagnostics, and was able to recover data from it.

Any idea's, i've also replaced the cdrw/dvdrom drive and still no luck. Used multiple cd's with XP software on it. plus original disk that came from HP with OEM OS on it.

The original problem was customers son was loading software game off a cd and it just started to hang, not going into the OS. I recovered data he wanted, formatted the drive and tried reinstall, which is where I am stuck now.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cmeasy...

If this is the screen after Windows finishes copying files, then it sounds like it's hanging when it hands off to the registry. Make sure that you have NO extra hardware connected...this includes external mouse and keyboard. Use just the laptop's input devices.

I would suggest starting fresh and format the drive using the full option...not the quick format.

wannabe1

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
this is the screen after Windows finished copying files, there are no extra hardware connected. I don't even get to the point where it gives you the option to format or not. And yes, I always go for the full option, not the quick format.

I tried a Windows 2000 install cd just to see, and it hangs at the same spot for it as well. Is it possible the HDD could be formatted being USB connected to another machine? But I am pretty sure I tried that already as well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...so you're hanging before the install really begins...just what do you see on the screen you are hanging at?

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
blue screen, on top of screen it says windows setup,

bottom of screen it says "setup is starting Windows XP" and that is as far as it goes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you booting to the cd or trying to reinstall from within Windows?

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
booting to the CD, Windows is gone, because I formatted the drive previously I believe.

I can't remember actually, it's been two weeks since I started working on this and the client dropped off a new internal cdrw/dvdrom drive to install in it and reinstall the OS.

but I' am thinking maybe if the partition and format wasn't done correctly, wouldn't that cause this to hang?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look at This Guide...where does the hang occur? (figure number)

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
between figure 2 and 3.

I just tried install again, does the press f6, then press f2 for automated recover, then setup is loading files, different ones listed, then last ones were NT files systems, FAT 32 file systems, setup is starting windows, monitor flashes quickly and then it hangs, cdrom stops spinning.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Odd one...it sounds like there are filters set on the cd-rom. But, if you have formatted, that would be impossible.

You might try formatting the drive using an application like Boot and Nuke...then try the install.

Advertisements

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have something called wipe drive on a cd.

this is something crazy,, never had this problem before. If I don't have a cdrom n the drive, it won't boot with "no OS found", or "no HDD found", it just has a black screen with blinking cursor on the top.

just some more random information thought I'd share

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
what did you mean by "sounds like filters are set on the cdrom"?

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
also, I've kept the machine on for a days to see if it would randomly start installing the Windows XP files, but no luck.

just some more random information.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This might be a bad HDD, too. Have you run diagnostics on it? I agree with you, though...this is definitely an odd one.

Filters are set by third party burning software or Daeman tools and will sometimes prevent a drive from working properly. With no registry aboard, they won't be there.

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did the HDD long check that is in the BIOS, nothing found.

I was also able to see the drive connected to a USB 2.0 IDE connection to my desktop and recover data, and ran a scan with nothing.

But I am running my wipedrive v3.03 from Whitecanyon.com and it is running to see if the sectors are clean (wiped), and it is progressing through 15% checked, and did find a sector error in the LBA sector with a number following. LBA Sector 7914513

I don't remember what LBA stands for, but it could be bad sectors. Since I've just replaced the cdrom drive, that' s what I am thinking now.

Whjat do you think?