Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck reloading Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
LBA = Logical Block Addressing

Having bad sectors on the drive would definitely not be a desirable situation... :whistling: Do you remember ever getting "Bad Block" errors with the old cd-rom?

Advertisements

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no I don't. well I am going to bed.

I am going to let this continue running it's scan with Wipe Drive, and see if this is repairable in the morning. If not, i have some spare drives, that I tried previously, but I was running across the same problem with other drives which is why I originally thought it was a cdrom drive problem.

by the way, I saw your interest section of you, and appreciate what you do giving computers to kids who can't get them.

I am a pastor here in the Washington DC area, and have done that myself many times. I am a ex employee at Gateway, other local shops and up until the 14th of February a field engineer with HP. (but that's another story)

Concentrating on pastoring, finishing school by May and helping fix friends, and customers computer problems.

goodnight. LBA sector problems are not usually fixable I believe?

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
waiting a little bit longer, my scan with WipeDrive is at 75%

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
found one LBA sector, 7901940 bad but when i went and viewed that sector through wipedrive found nothing on that individual sector.

running Hirens Boot CD v7.3 and see what it finds.

i am pretty much done for tonight

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thought you were going to bed... :whistling:

Which installation cd have you been using for the install? Do you have a retail cd of the same version of Windows?

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: I'm off topic here other than can relate very well to having had the same problem on more than one occassion. One time I did the repair/reinstall over and over and it got a little farther each time. Another time changed processor, another time was HDD.
Anyway, Wannabe, you ol sharp cookie. I didn't know you had a sorce for disposing perfectly good older computers. I have a barn full (desktops/tower) and many parts that are becoming obsolete as we watch laptops takeover. I'm in the midwest (Nebraska), have many cleaned reconditioned PCs of 350 MHz through 800MHz socket 7 and slot 1 and older and bags of good RAM 168 pin and back, with all sizes of HDDs/CPUs and many valid OS of 95, 98SE, ME and a few 2000Pro, I would donate and help pay as much shipping as can be justified. Of course I have many CRT monitors, keyboards, mouses, speakers, etc, only limited by shipping costs. Can send working units or builders, I have boxes of good parts from the 90's. Many ATs, on and on. Small parts shipping would be easier on my wallet but ask and I will give till it hurts. You've helped me alot. PM me if interested.
*** Good luck on on the reinstall!

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well I used a brand new hard drive today with the same problem.

hangs at the same place.

I am totally frustrated, looks like I will just have to eat the cost of the replacement dvd/cdrw drive the client purchased and stop at that.

I don't have any processors to test with, and I would be afraid to try now, in case something else happened to it.

cmeasy

cmeasy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no I don't have a retail version of XP, its theOEM cd that came with the HP laptop, one cd has the OS, another cd has the drivers.