Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slower than ever

• Please log in to reply

Singlepole

Singlepole

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay I'm sure that you all heard it a million times, but anyhoo, I read some replies to others but I'm not sure they apply here. Whole story.
about 1 month ago My puter started getting slow, I realized that the hard drive was completely full, the family likes to d/l music and it had pretty much filled it all up, well I figured that must be the problem. I buy a new drive and install it and copy all of the music, and documents onto it, then I cleaned em off the old drive. But it was still slow, I could swear I seen at some point a message when I started my puter, something about "the size of yer memory has changed" this was b4 the new drive was installed. The drive was still 1/2 full so I decided to use my XP CD to reformat and re-install, start off fresh. I did so, and it seemed faster for a bit, I carefully chose programs to install, only what we use the most. But its still slow, freezes up about every 30 seconds and the freeze can last for a minuite. switching between programs can take a very long time, almost as if I have not ram?? Open a flash pic and 10 mins later I can use the puter again. Please tell me how to start to check out what the problem is. Keep in mind I am using this puter so try to keep it fairly simple LOL so that it wont take me forever to navigate. Thanks my friends.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, wilcome to geekstogo,
curious, fill in the gaps for me:
- reformat, reinstall with same harddrive or with two harddrive now
- no yellow blobs in device manager
- disk, or disks, reconnised in disk manager
- if it is a desktop, you have cleaned out the dust bunnies with dry air can
- is the computer making funny sounds
- temparture in bios normal
- happens even when no external gadgit is connected(printer, scanner,etc.,)

sorry my english, hope make sense

Edited by fleamailman, 02 February 2007 - 08:44 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed, especially if the family like downloading music, using free file sharing programs ?.

post any hjt logs in the malware forum

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
unlikely to be malware since it is a reformat-reinstall situation which kills off malware, that is unless you have since added programs and surfed on the Internet with this computer; however, there may be bad sectors on the harddrive or drivers could be missing, or any of the other questions I put to you so let us know then.

Edited by fleamailman, 02 February 2007 - 10:47 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

unlikely to be malware since it is a reformat-reinstall situation which kills off malware, that is unless you have since added programs and surfed on the Internet with this computer; however, there may be bad sectors on the harddrive or drivers could be missing, or any of the other questions I put to you so let us know then.

but also very likely if still using file sharing progrms while on-line, downloads etc. just a suggestion to narrow down the possibilities in the event that your pc is infected.

cheers...xxx1

Singlepole

Singlepole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

hi, wilcome to geekstogo,
curious, fill in the gaps for me:
- reformat, reinstall with same harddrive or with two harddrive now
- disk, or disks, reconnised in disk manager
- if it is a desktop, you have cleaned out the dust bunnies with dry air can
- is the computer making funny sounds
- temparture in bios normal
- happens even when no external gadgit is connected(printer, scanner,etc.,)

sorry my english, hope make sense

Thanks all..
- installed new hard drive, copied my docs to new drive, formated and reinstalled (I hope that answer your question)
- not sure how to find disk manager, but both disks are working.
- has been cleaned
- no funny sounds
- will check temp, and post back later
- have disconnected my printer,, will try for a while and see if thats it.

hi,

if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed, especially if the family like downloading music, using free file sharing programs ?.

post any hjt logs in the malware forum

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

Posted in Malware forum http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=148474

Edited by Singlepole, 10 February 2007 - 08:47 PM.

Singlepole

Singlepole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay after months of reading and asking questions and reading replies at other sites (note none are here LOL), here is what I have discovered. When I did the reformat I didnt realize that it didnt remove the spyware, so I transfered all the data to the new drive and did a deep format, then installed a clean XP onto it. I disconnected the new 300G drive I had installed and updated XP and all of the drivers etc. My original memory was only 256 (this I didnt know) and with the new 300G drive it just took forever to run. So I upgraded my memory to 1G and reconnected the 300G drive then I scanned the new drive with Norton 360 and Spybot. Both I recommend highly. they removed any traces of the old spyware that the kids had placed in it originally and I feel very well protected now, the whole family has learned. The puter runs at lightning speed now. I posted to help hopefully others who may have this simular problem, these days 256 is just not enough memory, even if you have not added another 300Gig drive LOL

Best of luck all
Sp