Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is Ping?

• Please log in to reply

filtertex

filtertex

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have an answer to my son's ques about min & max ping.Hope some body can help.

Advertisements

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey Filtertex!

A "ping" is the amount of time (in milliseconds) it takes to send the data from your computer to the server. If you have a low ping, it means that your netis fast enough and you live close enough to send the data in about 50 millisecond. But if you are on dial up you will get a ping of about 150-500. 500 will take about 1 second to shoot. It may seem like you have lag but its your ping thats letting you down. If you want a better ping then you need a better connection.

Jazza!

filtertex

filtertex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for reply & info.My son wants to run server for CoD2.What do you set ninimum & max ping at?What does 'Max Rate" mean or what do you set for it?What is 'Pure'(it asks yes or no but we don't know what it means)?And lastly what does the following mean :
Error:Max ammo mismatch for "enfield_mp" set it to 200, but "defaultweapon_mp" already set it to 60.

Hope you can help & thank you.

General Jesus

General Jesus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
the mismatch for lee enfield is that theres an error. all you have to do is re-install COD thats what i did and it went away.

~ ~ ~ General ~ Je$u$ ~ ~ ~

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
well, i dont play COD2, but i have made private servers for other games, so heres some info i can help with: for minimum ping, set what you would like the lowest ping amount to be... a good number would be like 1. (people who have 0 ping may have errors of some sort, being that 0 ping is impossible). and maximum ping, i would set at anywhere from 100-150 if you only want good connections playing, or up to 500 if you want to allow dial-ups to play.

and to slightly correct jazza :whistling: , ping is actually a measurement of latency (aka lag). Everyone has ping, and therefore everyone has lag. some people just have more than others. having a low ping is desirable because lower latency provides smoother gameplay by allowing more frequent updates of game data. and theres many ways to get a better ping (and therefore less lag) than simply a better internet connection (though it is one of the best ways). you can buy a better network interface card (NIC), properly configure your router (specifically port forwarding, and putting your game on highest traffic priority), and shutting down background programs. The last two are fairly simple and free to do, and by doing these you can lower your ping by around 10-25 I've found (with my DSL connection).

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
"what is pure"

Pure refers to two things. One is punkbuster. PB prevents people from cheating. The other is that running in a pure mode only allows specified files. There are some custom sniper scope crosshairs for cod2 that also allow a greater zoom than stock sniper guns. By running in pure mode they won't be able to play on your server with those files.

There is a lot you can do with a cod2 server, but a lot of that requires the server to be professionally hosted. This gives you the appropriate system resources and bandwidth. However, since you probably are only talking about running a server for a few friends most of this doesn't apply. I would start out by enabling pb and running in pure. Setting min. and max ping as suggested. Being hosted at home I would only allow about 10 players at most. if people complain about the performance, reduce the number of people by 2 and see if that helps.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks stettybet0,

Lee enfield errors are sometimes common because of the install may have frozen or not copied the file and skiped it because of a damaged CD. Try re-installing the game. If you get a PB Kick try using PB sleeping.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Your Lee enfield error though is the server has increased the ammo to "200" BUT the default it only 60. Try enabling downloads in the Multiplayer Options.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Ping:
A basic Internet program that lets you verify that a particular Internet address exists and can accept requests. The act of using the ping utility or command. Pinging is diagnostically used to ensure that a host computer, which you are trying to reach, actually operates.

Thats Quoted from Spike Hacker inc.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
ping can refer to more than one thing... yes, it is a simple command line program, but when talked about in gaming, it is a measurement of latency. for the definition you gave, a number measurement wouldn't make sense, but, in gaming, there are certainly number measurements of ping.

Edited by stettybet0, 07 February 2007 - 08:04 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
oops... accident.

Edited by stettybet0, 07 February 2007 - 08:04 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the sake of clarification for future readers who want to understand ping in it's purest sence without regards to application... (i really like disambiguation)

a PING is an ICMP message sent from one computer to another computer..this message requires that the receiving computer reply...the sending computer then checks the time stamps on the ICMP package against the original sent package and derrives travel time of the package...the travel time is known as latency....(FYI..useless knowledge...they call it ping after the usage of active sonar in naval vessels...in marine terms...a PING is an audible signal created by the sonar equipment of a vessel that travels through the water and bounces off of anything in its way...thus returning to the originating equipment...they call it a ping...because that's what it sounds like "PING")

PING.exe (when you open up a command line and type ping...it's really calling a system variable that points to PING.exe located in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder) in windows (or any other OS) is a program that facilitates the construction, sending, and receiving of ICMP Ping packets...PING as a reference to gaming technology refers to the latency information gathered from the PING ICMP request sent by the server/host machines.