Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to add system tray icon

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: :blink: Been awhile since I've played with 98. Elderly friend has 98se and just got dsl from dial-up. The dsl is working all the time. There is no icon in the system tray indicating internet connection. Thus no way to check status or disconnect except to disable the net card all the time. How do we install an icon down by the clock that looks like a pair of monitors blinking at each other? Also how do I put an icon on the desktop for connecting to the internet. As is it goes online whenever we boot it up. Its a compaq presario w/ 500 mHz socket 7, can add ram theres 2 empty 168 pin slots, but not worth upgrading to XP talking him into dsl was a major ordeal. Does not like being online all the time. I'm working with a person that doesn't know how to drag and drop or copy and paste. Just like me a few years ago. Some help or where else to look would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!!!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To have an icon for the connection in the system-tray, do this:
1. Open Control Panel and click on 'Network Connections'.
2. Right-click the "Local Area Connection" icon and choose 'Properties'
3. There should be a tick-box for "Show icon in notification area when connected". Click it to put a tick in there, then click 'OK'.

However, this icon won't allow you to disconnect unless it's a disl-up connection. The whole idea of having DSL is to have an 'always on' connection. What you can do, however, is install a firewall (which is a must anyway for anyone with internet access). The firewall will also put it's own icon in the system-tray. With this you can right-click and choose "Stop All Internet Activity". This will have the same effect as disconnecting without actually having to disconnect. When you want to use the internet again, simply right-click the firewall icon, click the same option as before and it will unblock the connection.

You will have to install an old version of ZoneAlarm for 98SE, as newer versions are XP only. You need a version earlier than 6.5 and you can get it here (ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.1 ): http://www.oldversio...am.php?n=zalarm