Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screensaver won't run...yes, it is enabled and set up right...

• Please log in to reply

totianni

totianni

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I had my screensaver set to run pictures on my screen. Since we are in the process of trying to sell our house, I really liked it; however, it seems to have just stopped running. I think my son may have installed Rollercoaster Tycoon and/or updates to it around the time it stopped working. I've racked my brain, tried to restore to a previous date (does System Restore ever work when you need it????), turned it off, on and changed it to several others....all to no avail. I also liked that my computer was password protected when the screensaver was stopped.

All of my programs are up to date. I run McAfee firewall and eTrust AV always. I use Ad-aware, Spybot & Spyware Blaster regularly. I use Firefox exclusively. I've had no problems at all on this system that I've had for nearly a year. This is a commercial grade computer, custom built:

CPU : INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.2GHz 800FSB HYPERTHREAD W/1MB OF CACHE MEMORY
Motherboard : ECS PT 880-PRO-A MAINBOARD
Memory : 1GB DDR-2 533FSB (PC4200) Memory--upgraded to 1-1GB
Video Card : 256 MB nVIDIA Ge-Force FX5200 DVI/TV-OUT AGP VIDEO CARD
Hard Drive : 200GB 7200RPM SERIAL-ATA 16MB BUFFER Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE : 16X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW DRIVE / 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE
Network Card : 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Controller
Sound Card : CMI 9739A 6 CHANNEL CODEC
Case : ATX Case w/ Power Supply and Front USB Port
Ports : Six USB 2.0 ports,1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 microphone jack
Keyboard/Mouse: Microsoft wireless Mouse and Enhanced Keyboard
Speakers : 180WATT 2-Piece Multimedia Speakers
Software : Windows XP

I know I made upgrades, but can't recall other than the memory as one card, instead of 2. I do have an extra DVD-RW drive and a 50+ card reader drive.

Also, I had a program show up over the summer called bonjour. Never did find out where it came from or what it does...any ideas? Thanks.

So, I hope that's all the pertinent info. Thanks so much for your help.

HJT and start up list removed

Edited by don77, 06 February 2007 - 08:13 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Hi Tina
I will ask some one to check your log there are a couple in there that might be suss. However I am not a Malware person.
Bojour
1) An Apple Mac program 2) Learn French Program 3) A network program (my guess it is this). If your log checks clean then we will run System file checker, Did you get an XP Disc with your computer.
Cheers
Peterm

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thanks, Peter.

Yes, I have the XP disc.

Do I need Bonjour or can I uninstall it?

I also forgot to note that my system has been locking up with no recourse other than a hard reboot. This scares me...I really don't like hard reboots. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing when it locks up and it usually happens in Firefox. It's only been happening for maybe the past month.

Thanks for your help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ok I have posted for someone to check your log.
When you get a reply If they say your log is clean.
Put the XP cd in the drive go to Start > All programs >Accessories > Command Prompt.
At the prompt tye in sfc /scannow enter
let it run through and see if it fixes your screensaver.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
PDVDServ.exe is the culprit.

Go to START-->RUN and type msconfig and click OK. In the new window that appears, click on the STARTUP tab and uncheck the box corresponding to PDVDServ.exe. Click APPLY and OK and when asked if you want to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect, do so. Once your computer is rebooted, you will receive a popup stating you are running in Selective Startup Mode. Check the box for Don't Show me this Again and click OK.

Your screensaver should activate fine now.

Fenor

*The PDVDserv.exe process is used by your computer to allow the use of an infrared remote to control your DVD drive (as though it were a normal DVD player). If you disable this process, your infrared remote control will no longer be able to control your DVD Drive.*

Edited by Fenor, 03 February 2007 - 07:44 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thank you so much, Fenor. It is working fine now.

Don't know why I had the program to control my DVD with a remote because I never had a remote for it, but thanks for fixing my screensaver.

Did you notice any other problems with my logs? Still have the computer occasionally locking up.

Thanks again.