Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashed

• Please log in to reply

mr.smartbum

mr.smartbum

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Being new to this forum, I'd like to start with a thank you for making available the help this forum provides.

My computer crashed when I suspected a possible virus and began to run a virus detection/correction program (an IE diagnostics program preloaded on my laptop). Within seconds my computer crashed, leaving me with a black screen and the message, "non-system disk or disk error. replace and strike any key when ready."

Before posting my question, I read through the previous post and did as much as I could to solve my problem. I made a copy of the appropriate Windows 98 SE "Boot Disk" provided at a link site. However, rebooting to this disk I continue to get the same message.

I do have another emergency boot disk I've been given. When I boot to this disk, the computer will boot up to an A prompt ( A:\ ). At this point I typed in: c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore - No Luck!

To make matters worse, I bought this laptop used over Ebay, and as such I have no software what-so-ever. No OS, No recovery disk, nor a restore disk. The only good news it seems, is that I have access to my BIOS if that's of any help.

I'm a teacher, and the entire year's grades were on my laptop. I know I may lose all my grades, but whatever it takes to get my computer up and runnning I'm desperately willing to do. If anyone is able to help, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome mr.smartbum <_<

Let's try this. Boot your computer using the emergency repair disk. At the command prompt type C:, next type dir. Reply if you get any errors, or if it displays a list of folders. :D

mr.smartbum

mr.smartbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for responding, and thanks for the welcome. When I typed in "dir" at the c prompt, my computer shows 1 file and 16 dir(s).

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Good news, your hard drive is working, and your data appears to be safe.

Bad news, you're going to have to reinstall Windows 98. If you don't have a Windows 98 installation CD you'll need to purchase one. You can maybe find one locally, or check eBay.

There's instructions for performing a reinstallation here:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=479

mr.smartbum

mr.smartbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. It'll take a couple of days to find (or reluctantly buy) Windows. Until then? My gratitude.

mr.smartbum

mr.smartbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
In an effort to find Windows 98 (SE), I questioned a techie at CompUSA about my dilemma. He had said that reloading Windows 98 would not provide the drivers I need to make my laptop's hardware function. He suggested that I contact Gateway to get a Gateway restore disk. As such, that disk would have the drivers specific to my laptop.

1. This sounds plausible, but is it accurate?

Second question. My wife has Windows XP.

2. Would there be any reason I couldn't load this OS in place of Windows 98 SE that was (is) on my crashed laptop? Would it provide the drivers necessary to operate my hardware?

Thanks in advance.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

He had said that reloading Windows 98 would not provide the drivers I need to make my laptop's hardware function.

While there may very well be drivers needed that aren't included with the Windows 98 CD, they should be readily available for download from gateway.com.
Likely, even the drivers included on a Gateway restore CD are likely to be obsolete and need of update.

It sure wouldn't hurt to contact Gateway about aquiring a replacement CD, but since your not the orginal owner, I'm not sure you'll have access to the proof-of-purchase that they require.

Second question. My wife has Windows XP.

1. Does your system meet the minimum requirements?

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
Super VGA (800 Χ 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive

2. XP will likely have most drivers for your laptop, again drivers should be available for download at gateway.com

3. You'll need to purchase a new copy of Windows XP to install it on your laptop.

mr.smartbum

mr.smartbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Again, thanks for your response.

My laptop does meet the minimum requirements.
Because the copy of Windows XP belongs to me and my wife, and is used on our desktop, would I still need to purchase another copy of it for my laptop?

Secondly, when I do get XP would I load it up onto my laptop in the same manner as I would have reloaded Windows 98 on to my crashed computer (as they were given according to the instructions provided by the linkpage page)? That is, would I still boot up using a Boot Disk, and then follow the instructions for reloading Windows?

Thanks, Dave

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Because the copy of Windows XP belongs to me and my wife, and is used on our desktop, would I still need to purchase another copy of it for my laptop?

You need a separate license for each system. Microsoft used to allow one license to be installed on both a desktop and laptop belonging to the same user, but it ended with XP.

Secondly, when I do get XP would I load it up onto my laptop in the same manner

If you want to retain your own data, this is where it can get tricky. XP setup will probably run by simply inserting the CD, and starting the computer. Press any key when prompted. See if setup gives you the option to upgrade a previous version. If so, go ahead and update--this should keep all your old data and programs intact.

If you don't get the option to update, you can still install XP, just don't partition or format your drive.

I'd suggest once you get the needed data backed up that you perform a "clean install" of Windows XP. You'll need to reinstall any old programs, but a clean install on an NTFS partition will be much more stable and secure.

P.S. Turn on XP's built-in firewall, and run Windows Update as soon as possible.