Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speedtouch 330 installation issue

• Please log in to reply

nethkhar

nethkhar

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi everyone,

My neighbour has just signed up for broadband and received his equipment. I've followed the instructions as per the installation cd but the installation stalls on the last step.

The problem is that when the hardware is found by xp it will not allow you to install the drivers. It comes up with a window about the 3rd party signatures and doesn't give you the option to bypass it and continue anyway. It just says the hardware will not be installed contact the system administrator. The account has administrator priviledges and the ISP provider has said they can't help.

What's really weird is that I managed to install the software (i think) thorough the connection wizard but it still doesn't work.

Can anyone please suggest anything that might be going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Nethie. :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First check the "Driver Signing" settings if using Windows XP (This may only apply to the SP2 version since that's what I use, but check anyway):
1. Control Panel (Classic View)->System.
2. Click the 'Hardware' tab.
3. Click 'Driver Signing'
4. Option needs to be set to "Warn - Prompt me each time to choose an action"
5. Also tick the admin option "Make this action the system default".
6. Click 'OK' to save the changes.
7. Now try installing the modem's USB driver.

If still no luck, there's another option. Instead of connecting the modem/router via USB (which was never intended for networking purposes anyway) connect it to the PC with a CAT5 ethernet cable. No third-party driver is needed if you do that. Both router and PC need to have an ethernet port to do this. You can easily fit an ethernet port (ie network card) to the PC, but if the router/modem doesn't have such a port you will have to buy one that does.

Edited by pip22, 03 February 2007 - 08:25 AM.

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for that reply, it worked and my neighbour is now very happy and has promised to buy me a pint, and I slapped myself for being so dim. lol. Thanks again. :whistling: