Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

opening .wks files in MS Office

• Please log in to reply

-=BigD=-

-=BigD=-

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

Got some old files with a .wks extension that I'm trying to open in Word/Excel. Using Office 2003, tried MS online help but no joy. Is it possible or do I need Works to open? They were saved on an old version of Works (brought around '97).

Thanks in anticipation :whistling: .

BigD

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is it a Lotus file or Works file?

-=BigD=-

-=BigD=-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm told they were definitely Works files, they are an elderly relative files and she’s sure they are.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try the Batch Conversion Wizard in Word. Click File, New, Templates on My Computer, then click the Other Documents Tab. Choose Batch Conversion Wizard, then go through the wizard to "Convert from Another Format to Word". Works 6.0 and 7.0 are choices.

Please let us know how that goes.

Edited by LindaGail, 04 February 2007 - 07:47 AM.

-=BigD=-

-=BigD=-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks LindaGail, I'll let you know how it goes.

I can't get over to my relatives house for a couple of days but I'll keep you posted.

Edited by -=BigD=-, 04 February 2007 - 10:59 AM.

JesseBassett

JesseBassett

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Now you can automatically convert works files in word. Just open word and click on the open file. Find the .wks file and open it. It'll convert it a .doc file.