Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply

d4net

d4net

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so it started a few months ago, my computer would randomly restart, sometimes briefly displaying a blue screen. After a little while the on board sound on my motherboard (spec below) stopped functioning and reinstalling the drivers did'nt help. Later when my computer was on it would make periodical bleeping sounds every second or so, and then when it randomly restarted the bleeping would become momentarily sustained before the power went. Well i've got my system crammed into a rather small sugo case so I thought it could be a problem with overheating, anyway to play it safe I took it to a computer repair shop here in the uk. They had it for 2 weeks! when I went in to enquire they said that when they removed the graphics card (x1800xl i think) the system started to work fine. Ok fair enough I thought, I'll buy a new grfx card but in the meantime i'll use the mb's built in video. Anyhow when I got the computer home and booted it up it didnt take long to realise that the problem was still present (minus the bleeping). Further to that I got a friend to test the graphics car they took out and he found it to be perfectly functional. Arrrghh. So in the meantime I had allready bought a new graphic card and windows vista ultimate, so I formated my hard drive, did a fresh install of windows vista, put in the new card and guess what the problem still remains, and might I add, the sound still dosnt work on the board despite getting vista drivers from the manufacturers website. (also on a side not and cant find drivers for sata either).
I've acouted arround on the net for people with a similar problem (of which there are many) and unfortunatly the general consensus is that it could be any number of things, I only hope that by providing you guys with all this info it could narrow it down.
Incedently the computer just rebooted, I hoped straight into the bios to check the tempreature, the cpu is 51c and the system is 34c.
Now my theory is that the mother board in beggered, going by the fact that the sound is also not working.

thankyou in advance for your help, this is really driving me up the wall.

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Speed : 2.00GHz

Mainboard
Model: MS7191
RS482M4-ILD

Total Memory : 2GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1000MHz (2000MHz data rate)
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Chipset 2
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1000MHz (2000MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 2GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

Video System
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Physical Storage Devices
Hard Disk : WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0 ATA Device (149GB)
Hard Disk : WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 ATA Device (75GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : DVDRW 16X16X ATA Device (CD 48X Rd, 48X Wr) (DVD 6X Rd, 6X Wr)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 149GB (134GB, 90% Free Space) (NTFS)
Hard Disk (D:) : 75GB (74GB, 99% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows Vista Professional Media Center x64 Edition 6.00.6000

Tagan TG800-U25 800W PSU

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Randon reboots are usually caused by 1. heat, 2. memory, 3. driver issues, 4. the power supply. Examine each cause carefully to either correct it or rule it out. You can test the memory with memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/.

d4net

d4net

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks, but can you be more specific, is the tempreature I mentioned TO hot, i think I can rule out driver issues, and dont you think the fact that the sound isnt working on the board is suspicious?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If the sound isn't working, you probably have a driver problem. See if you can correct that, and if the reboot problem goes away that was it. Random reboots can be tedious to work through because each of the items I listed is a potential cause and needs to be ruled our or corrected. I would agree it is probably not heat. Move on and deal with the driver issue. Then test the memory. Don't overlook the power supply. I had a similar problem with one of my systems. Turned out the power supply was the cause. Here is a good link to information on power supplies http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
See the sticky posts at the top of the forum.