Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firefox and Explorer won't connect

• Please log in to reply

Heather96

Heather96

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I walked away for a few minutes and the cat sat on my keyboard. I came back to literally hundreds of error messages that said -

Scservice.exe

It was not letting me reboot and I kept having to shut down the wrong way (button pushing)

I searched for that file,saw that file was connected to Mcafee(specifically Mcafee site advisor) and I unistalled Mcafee. The windows disappeared and I was able to reboot properly.

So, I tried to get back online and it wont go,with firefox or IE. also all of my bookmarks are gone.

It's not my internet connection,because I have that computers ethernet cable hooked into my laptop right now and it's working fine.

unfortunatley I can't run any programs for anyone here to see whats going on because it won't go on-line.

oh..and firefox generated this error as well-c/programfiles/mozillafirefox/components/NSbrowsercontentHandler.js

any ideas???

Thanks!!
Heather

Advertisements

Heather96

Heather96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
much much bigger problem now...

The comcast guy told me that my IP was set to the factory default(we tried ipconfig and renew) and that I should un-install my network stuff and re-install it from the boot disk (my husband did it,not me) any way..that didn't work so my Husband tried to re-install windows 2000 and it won't go into the desktop..it keeps freezing up trying to install my nivida cards drivers. We tried re-starting in safe mode,we tried ctrl/alt/del to make the program quit...nothing but a black screen.

I am so screwed..I have tons of client files that I haven't had a chance to back up yet...

The error message are as follows..any help at all would be appreciated..as my husband is just going to re-format and I'm going to lose everything :whistling:(

one of the errors-

the/system root/drivers/dxapi.sys device driver could not locate the entry point Kelsatachedprocess in driver notskrnl.exe

The other error had something to do with a clock?

Edited by Heather96, 03 February 2007 - 03:00 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi heather96,

You obviously have Internet access so you might look at downloading a Linux Live CD like Knoppix or Slax to recover your files to CD, Flash drive, or portable hdd storage.

Heather96

Heather96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah my dh is tranferring them now and he's going to reformat after that..this sucks.

I'm thinking it was either a virus or something the cat did. Learned my lesson about backing up and shutting down thats for sure.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When my kids were little, I got into the habit of hitting Win-key and "L" every time I walked away from the computer, just in case. If the cat is still allowed in your office area, you might want to do the same.
Johanna