Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create Boot Disk Software Using ?

• Please log in to reply

whd

whd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have recently developed software which boots from, and runs exclusively from, a 3.5" floppy in drive A, which I intend to make available via EBay and a web site. This software also requires a registration code, which will permit full functionality, and is the result of an algorithm based on the diskette's serial number.

My problem to overcome is, "How do I package the files from my master diskette, so that when users extract the files from the downloaded package to a blank diskette in their drive A, the result is a bootable diskette containing my software, but yet has it's own unique serial number?"

I've found that using an Image file won't work because each copy has a duplicate of the serial number from my master diskette, so they aren't unique.

I've also found that none of the ZIP methods (or clones) will work either, because none seem capable of either ZIPping from, or extracting to, the boot sector.

The only software I know of that copies an entire diskette, including the boot sector, but resulting in a unique serial number on every copy, is DISKCOPY.EXE. But I don't know how to use this to solve my problem.

Any simple, elegant solutions from out-of-the-box thinking would be much appreciated, as I am currently at a standstill in my progress.

Thank you.

Advertisements