Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disappearing incoming mail in Outlook

• Please log in to reply

bamboozled

bamboozled

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm hoping someone may know of this problem, because neither Microsoft help desk, nor my ISP have heard of it. ;)
WHen dowloading emails, I see some incoming messages ever so briefly, hear the Outlook bell, then they disappear (in a second flat). They are not in the deleted items or other Outlook folder. I can't find them anywhere and my ISP no longer keeps it on the server once downloaded.
There are a couple of known senders that prompt this disappearance. None of which I have blocked. In the lastest incidents, I sent out an email to a list of people on my address book, including myself. They got it, I didn't. Then they repried and I did not receive the replies - althought if I access them via my phone or through webmail, I get them. So the problem seems to be with the Outlook on the PC. ;)
I wonder whether there's some link with anti-virus threads to my own address.
:tazz:
Thank you so much already!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open any Office programme press help then detect and repair, make sure there is a tick in restore my shortcuts, you will need the Office CD

bamboozled

bamboozled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Keith. Have just done what you suggested and resend a test message to the same list. I'll wait to see if their replies come in tomorrow. Did you think it was a bug in MSO? Have you come across it before?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Here are a couple of things you can look through for anything which is of use, with Outlook backup it saves to Outlook by default, which is nutz cos if Outlook ggoes toast then you lose the backup as well so you may want to set the save to location as a folder you create for this.

Outlook Backup

Backing Up and Exporting

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If the problem keeps reoccuring try saving the Emails and information that you have in a folder in "My Documents" and uninstall and reinstall the program. I have had a simliar problem, but in my incident it was the ISP's fault. Not Outlook. The symptoms were similiar. We reinstalled the application, reconfigured everything, then when it still didn't work took it to the ISP and they finally went to there server and fixed the problem...

Just a thought if Keith's solution doesn't work.. but he is right about everything. Its what I would do.

bamboozled

bamboozled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
THanks guys. It seems to have worked - the replies are coming in now. Thanks for the articles on importaing/exporting. It will come in handy.
I also deleted all my Outlook rules - I have a sneeky suspition that one of them (from a virus sender with a hotmail "address") had something to do with me not getting anything from a list which included a hotmail recipient. COuld it be that of of those recipients is the actual host of the virus spam?????

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
if you run into trouble again you can always tell outlook express to leave
a copy of the message on the server untill the problem is fixed

bamboozled

bamboozled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts