Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microsoft office(program) has not been installed for the current user.

• Please log in to reply

ethi

ethi

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can anyone help me ASAP, im having a problem with my microsoft office 2003. everytime i try to start one of the office programs i get the message 'microsoft office has not been installed for the current user please run setup to install application'.

Now i have tried uninstalling, then installing again, repairing from the office cd.
I am the only user(administrator) on the computer and dont understand why any of the programs will not work.

Thanks
ethi

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Has Office ever worked for you?

When you say you're the only user (administrator), do you mean you log into Windows with the default Administrator account? If so, you need to create a new account for you (see the next item).

To troubleshoot this issue, try adding a new user (Control Panel, User Accounts) in the Administrator group. Reboot and log in with the new account. Try to uninstall Office, then reinstall. Watch for an option to install for all users.

If this solves the problem, we can copy all the settings and documents/files from the other account to the new one. See Microsoft article 555473 for instructions.

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
right ive really knacked up here i tried the copy all the settings and documents/files from the other account to the new one. and now there nowhere to be found.
PLEASE help

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Unless you deleted them, they are still there... we'll just have to find them.

Right click the Start button, choose Explore. The screen will open to the Start Menu folder for the user currently logged on. Is this the new user? Do you see the old user name and the new user name listed?

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes both user names are there, ive just used a recovery program and found the files but when i try to open them they say they arent there, if you understand

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please provide the full error message, or take a screen shot of the error using the Alt+PrtScn keys. This will place the image on the Windows clipboard. Open Paint (or another graphics program), use Ctrl-V to paste the image from the clipboard into Paint, then save it as a JPG format. You can attach it to this thread.

Why did you have to use a recovery program? And what is the name of the program?

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i havent got an error message, after trying to move my user to a new user all files vanished and arent showing up on any of the users so i am using getdataback for ntfs to see if i can recover the files which have disappeared from the main user.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How did you try to move them? Did you follow the instructions in the Microsoft article I posted?

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes, and i moved from the main user to new and they just went missing. i have recovered files with getdataback but when i go to open them it says please locate the file yourself

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you clicking a shortcut to get to the file? If so, the shortcut may be pointing to the wrong location.

Browse to Documents and Settings\OldUserName\My Documents. Do you see files there?

Browse to Documents and Settings\NewUserName\My Documents. Is there anything in that folder?

Advertisements

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
just the shortcut to the files in Documents and Settings\OldUserName\My Documents

nothing in Documents and Settings\NewUserName\My Documents

Edited by ethi, 03 February 2007 - 09:08 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you log out of the new user and back in with the old user, can you open My Documents and see your files?

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
all i can see on both users is the shortcuts to all the files

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you using Windows Explorer to browse to the My Documents folder? Or where are you seeing the shortcuts only, and not the actual files?

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
im only seeing the shortcuts only in the my documents folder which is where they were originally kept