Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microsoft office(program) has not been installed for the current user.

• Please log in to reply

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ive now just found out that all programs arent installed either

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are your programs okay if you log back in under your old user name?

I've got to tell you that I've never had anyone have these kinds of issues copying a profile.

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
just a couple of programs arent working. im getting really worried now because all these files are really important

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
when i did the profile copy and went back to the profile copy screen both users seemed to have less size

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have reliable antivirus software installed? Is it current and have you scanned lately? Do you have a backup of your data?

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
im running norton antivirus, and no i have no backup

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The profile copy process does not delete files. They have to be on your computer, somewhere. Check the Recycle Bin. It also doesn't affect your display resolution.

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
checked the recycle bin, nothing there. is it possible i could of copied the user to itself?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No, Windows doesn't allow that. How many users folders are under Documents and Settings? If more than the two we're talking about, maybe you copied everything to one of those. Check the My Documents.

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
is it possible i might have accidentally copied the new user to the old one and that has overwritten everything

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, I think that's what might have happened.

ethi

ethi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
is there any way of recovery? i need to know before i get killed for losing everything

Edited by ethi, 03 February 2007 - 10:48 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Since there's no backup, the only thing I can suggest at this point is another undelete utility. Try FreeUndelete. You can download it here. Read the documentation very carefully. You'll have better results if you can download the program to a USB drive, as writing more stuff to the hard drive can overwrite some of the deleted files you want to recover.

Good luck.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't defrag either..the files are not gone ..just the directories that point to them...windows now see's the place's they used to be free so it can and will write to those areas..

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you tried system restore and put the computer back to the time before you created the new user.