Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My DVD-ROM is not shown in my computer help!

• Please log in to reply

lan87

lan87

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After I uninstalled a couple of unwanted programs on my HP laptop. My DVD-ROM drive doesn't seem to be working. I put in a disc in drive and it doesnt work. The dvd-rom is not shown in my computer. In system devices it saids dvd-rom is working properly i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but the drive still isn't shown on my computer folder. How do i fix this?

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

cheers...xxx1

lan87

lan87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
nope, no yellow. the dvd/cd-rom drivers are working properly.. and i can also boot from cd when i start my computer. Just that its not shown in my computer and will not load any cds after i the computer is turned on

Edited by lan87, 03 February 2007 - 03:11 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try searching to see if the drivers were properly uninstalled when you removed them.

cheers...xxx1

lan87

lan87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
there are so many drivers...how do i know which one i removed or installed. I don't feel like doing a factory system restore..which will takes several hours.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
can we try this to see if it helps.

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
expand + dvd-rom this should bring up your device uninstall the drivers reboot and allow windows to reinstall it

if that does not work we can try deleting the upperfilters and lowerfilters from the registry, here's an explanation.
Upper and Lower filters are hardware hooks that are usually installed by third party burning software or other tools that require exclusive use of the drive. If these programs are uninstalled or become corrupt and the filters are not removed from the registry, Windows will not see the drive or will see it but be unable to install it.

cheers...xxx1