Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

debfoo

debfoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
message when I try to retrieve my email

" you don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation"

Help

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Has your email ever functioned properly? If so, what happened with your computer between then and now? If you can determine a date, try a System Restore to a point prior to the problem. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, Restore my computer to an earlier time.

If that doesn't fix the problem,

What kind of email account is it? Is it an internet (POP3) account, Exchange (MAPI), or something else (like Hotmail)?

Try setting up a new mail profile. Close Outlook, then go to Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles, Add. Be sure to click either "Prompt for a Profile" or "Always use this profile" and set it to the new one you're creating. You'll need all the settings for your email account to accomplish this. I'd choose "Prompt for a Profile" just to ensure Outlook does indeed use the newly created profile. If this fixes the problem, we'll need to retrieve your data from the old profile.

Please post the results.