Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to share a printer

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I have 3 computers: 2 desktops, 1 laptop. All are running XP home. I have a cable modem, which is directly attached to a Netgear wireless router. Both desktop computers are directly connected to the router. The laptop is in another part of the house and receives signal perfectly from the wireless router.

I have a printer (hp deskjet 722c, given name "deskjet") connected to the main desktop, and it is working just fine. I have enabled printer sharing on the main desktop, but when I try to "add a printer" on the 2nd desktop for sharing, I can get to the "browse for printer", and all that ever comes up is "microsoft windows network".

If I click next, it says "you need to specify a network printer name". The name I am using is "deskjet". When I type that it, it says "windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."

When I go back to "specify a printer", I have 3 options:

Browse for a printer: (results given above)
Connect to this printer: Name: (I used \\dell2\deskjet) (same answer as above, cannot connect)
Connect to a printer on the internet or home or office network (using an URL address): HUH??

I have tried giving each computer an "account" on the main computer. Still nothing. I have enabled the "guest account". Nothing.

I have tried everything I can think of, and I am still getting the same results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There must be something I am missing, but what?

Thanks,

Dustman

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The 722c doesn't officially support networking (you can't simply use any old printer for networking) but it is apparently possible to do it with this one even though HP says you can't. Read this webpage. It may help:

http://www.tedfelix....Networking.html

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
A key question to answer is, "Can all three computers see each other in 'My Network Neighborhood'?"

Fenor

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Pip22 and Fenor,

Thank you for the replies. The 722c has always worked fine for printing with Windows XP. I have 5 of these printers, but am tired of the ink drying out (very expensive to keep buying these cartridges), so want to use the one printer.

I checked my computer and can't find "my network neighborhood", even through the search program. I can find "my network places", but it seems to primarily have some of my music. Not much help there.

How do I locate the "neighborhood"?

Thanks,

Dustman

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
My Network Places is the same thing. Can each computer see the other two listed in there? I am figuring that they can't and that is why you can't share the printer. Google networking computers and get them to see each other and then you will be able to share the printer.

Fenor

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, again, Fenor,

Thank you for the response. It seems the only computer that appears in "my internet places" is the actual main computer itself. Nothing else shows up. I have googled the topic to death, and cannot figure out how to make it "see" the other 2 computers. I have run the wizard and when I go back in, nothing has changed. I have named my workgroup, gone all through the steps, rebooted to save the changes, but nothing has changed. And when I check the wizard again, none of the changes I have made appear. The workgroup goes back to the default name MSWORKGROUP. I can't believe things have to be this difficult.

I am still trying to find out what is going wrong, but am coming up empty.

Thanks again,

Dustman