Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 Fails. Driver problems? need tech help.

• Please log in to reply

carnealse

carnealse

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok well I still have no idea why SP2 will not work on my PC but SP1 will.
I still get the 0x7E stop code with 4 addresses that I do not know how to check.
Could my BIOS be the problem? Should I update it?
To clarify my hardware I recently installed;
BIOSTAR Nvidia GeForce6100-M9, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, with a gig of JetRam DDR400 and a 450w Power Source.
I do have an older hard drive, but I doubt that would cause errors when upgrading from SP1 to SP2.
I get such round about useless advice, does anyone have some sound advice with steps to take to fix this?
I know drivers are failing too.

Edited by carnealse, 03 February 2007 - 05:26 PM.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

have you looked in the event veiwer.
to open the event viewer,

1 - click start
2 - click run
3 - in the run box type > mmc.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc

cheers...xxx1

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you mean SP2 will not install, one reason for that is when your copy of Windows has been installed with a Product Key that Microsoft has put on it's 'blacklist' database of keys which Microsoft has not issued. Sometimes they get it wrong and your CD key is wrongly identified as illegal when it's not. If this applies to you, call Microsoft.

If it's installed okay but causing all sorts of problems, some computers just don't like SP2, it's as simple as that. Nothing to do with your BIOS so updating that would not help.

Microsoft's official support page with links to other related pages is here:
http://support.micro...pr=windowsxpsp2

carnealse

carnealse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I checked the event viewer, and there are errors galore. However, I am not sure what the problem is, there are so many. There are 3 DCOM and 8 Service control errors. What info from them can you use to begin to narrow the issue down? I will post what ever it is you need.
The one that jumped out was this one;
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
BIOS
Fips
IPSec
Klif
Klmc
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip
Does that coincide with a 0x7E error? Also, I checked System Mechanic and it had my Service Pack Installer Update disabled so it could not run its post installation processes. Could that cause SP2 to fail also? I don't know, since it does not even get to the profile screen, rather it hits the blue screen.
Thanks!

Edited by carnealse, 03 February 2007 - 04:54 PM.