Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista slower than XP

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Don't know if this has already been linked to but i thought that the tom's hardware review of Vista and XP is refreshing. Looks like Gates and company may be doing another incremental upgrade at the consumers expense.

http://www.tomshardw...ista/index.html

SRX660

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Look at when XP came out. EVERYTHING ran like garbage on it. It took a good six months to a year after it's release for proper drivers to come out. Have to give credit to MS though, because this time around drivers aren't nearly as hard to find as they were when XP first came out. I have installed a couple of games and they run perfectly on my system. The only driver that I couldn't find is for the gameport on my Audigy 2 sound card, but that is Creative's fault, because in the release notes for the Vista driver, they specifically stated that the drivers for the game port were not included in the driver package.

People who bash something when it hasn't even been out publicly for a month shouldn't be paid attention to. A pity too, since Tom's Hardware usually does some good reviews, but you can't judge something as large as a completely new Operating System in the first days of it's release...

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 03 February 2007 - 07:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Toms hardware didnt bash it they said it was very good they just showed that performance was lower it wasnt there fault that it was slower. If you read the article up to the end and conclusion you would see they dont bash it just deduce a good point based upon there observations that i at least agree with. They make good points and none of them are false at all. Its also been available in its final form for a while now its been a couple of months since they finalised the OS and they have given it to reviewers pretty freely, its also been for sale for almost three weeks now.

Keith posted this earlier as well.

If you really need your PC to finish huge encoding, transcoding or rendering workloads within a defined time frame, yes, it is. Don't do it; stay with XP. But as long as you don't need to finish workloads in record time, we believe it makes sense to consider these three bullet points:

* Vista runs considerably more services and thus has to spend somewhat more resources on itself. Indexing, connectivity and usability don't come for free.
* There is a lot of CPU performance available today! We've got really fast dual core processors, and even faster quad cores will hit the market by the middle of the year. Even though you will lose application performance by upgrading to Vista, today's hardware is much faster than yesterday's, and tomorrow's processors will clearly leap even further ahead.
* No new Windows release has been able to offer more application performance than its predecessor.

Although application performance has had this drawback, the new Windows Vista performance features SuperFetch and ReadyDrive help to make Vista feel faster and smoother than Windows XP.

Edited by warriorscot, 04 February 2007 - 09:07 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Look at when XP came out. EVERYTHING ran like garbage on it. It took a good six months to a year after it's release for proper drivers to come out. Have to give credit to MS though, because this time around drivers aren't nearly as hard to find as they were when XP first came out. I have installed a couple of games and they run perfectly on my system. The only driver that I couldn't find is for the gameport on my Audigy 2 sound card, but that is Creative's fault, because in the release notes for the Vista driver, they specifically stated that the drivers for the game port were not included in the driver package.

People who bash something when it hasn't even been out publicly for a month shouldn't be paid attention to. A pity too, since Tom's Hardware usually does some good reviews, but you can't judge something as large as a completely new Operating System in the first days of it's release...

Fenor

Did any of those games use the Steam platform - if so, what games... And what games do you have running? Just an idea really, I'll be upgrading in a few days and I don't know if its better to wait a while

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Everything on steam ive tried works as well as it did on XP for me, better sometimes because i use 64bit now. Although i like Vista i cant say unless i had the cash to buy retail that i would buy until i built a new system or bought one because while OEM is dirt cheap the hardware restrictions suck.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I remember you play CS, from an old XFire sig of yours, but what other games do you play on Steam?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Mostly Mods these days, empires, dystopia i got tonnes after the comp at modDB.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Toms hardware is so anoyying some of it is good like hardware reviews but in the game test etc they use like a computer worth about £1,500 as if most people have a super PC that plays games at 300FPS.

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
So far I haven't had any problems with Vista. All of my games that I play run smoothly as before: Steam, Warcraft and what not. However, as a previous person mentioned, it will take a few months before it will be 100% smoother for those who are having problems. Within a few days, I already downloaded various patches from Windows Update to help the comp out.