Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete failure -- power supply?

• Please log in to reply

SicSemper

SicSemper

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've never encountered something like this before. With my system on and running fine, I went to connect my MP3 player and plugged the cable into the front USB port. At that point, the system locked up and shut down. When I went to toggle the power back on, nothing happened. I disconnected the USB cable and re-inserted it, and the system briefly started to hum back to life, then shut down again. I tried changing plugs, checking the power strip it was plugged in to, etc., but it won't come back on.

Does this sound like a fried power supply? Would connecting a USB device that draws power off the system even do that? This is the second power supply I've had in this system. This one has been working fine for about two years. The previous one up and died as well, though. I'm not sure what that indicates about the hardware inside the box.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing i would replace is the power supply. Now, don't buy another cheap PS as they can cause the rest of your system to be damaged. The minimum i would buy is a thermotake TR2 like this one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153023

Although thermotakes are a pretty loud PS they are of decent quality. Better, quieter PS's can be bought in the $80-100 range of price.

If this does not fix the problem you have probably fried some other hardware in the computer. So it might be time to either upgrad or look for a new computer.

SRX660

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The power supply is often overlooked as being a critical component. Here is a link to a multitude of information about power supplies, which ones are good, which ones to aviod (maybe the ones you had bad luck with are among those?). Check out the sticky posts at the top of the forum. There are also power supply calculators that will help you figure out how much power your system needs.
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I don't know a whole lot about Power Supplies, but the Thermaltake Power Supplies seem to be pretty good and popular.

Here is a decent one:

Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
If your on a tight budget, that doesn't mean you have to get a cheaply-made PSU. I have used many HEC PSUs and have never had one go bad.
http://www.directron.com/hp485d.html

SicSemper

SicSemper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok. I ordered and installed the Thermaltake PS, and juice is running through the system -- anything plugged into a USB port is lighting up in standby (mouse, usb hub, etc. -- although they did before with the PS I thought was damaged) but the system still won't kick on at all. I'm starting to fear it's the mobo. Any thoughts?