Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not detecting hard drives

• Please log in to reply

flipsyouoff

flipsyouoff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running my hard drives on "sata" using windows xp home edition. My computer is not detecting either hard drive (I have two in there). I try to reinstall xp however without it detecting my hard drives I can not do so. Does anyone know how to get this working?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You need to install the SATA device drivers from a floppy or CD during Windows XP setup, when you see the message "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers" (that includes SATA drivers). Have you done that?

http://www.acronis.c.../2004/sata.html

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You have to do what Pip said, as the version of XP you are installing will be older than sata drives and sata controllers. Find out what your Hard Drive manufacturer is and have a look on their site - they will definately have the stuff.