Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

self rebooting pc

• Please log in to reply

diverseo

diverseo

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
any ideas where to start looking for problem, i sitch pc on loads up win xp, logon icon appears, click on it it starts loading up but then restarts, i can start up in safe mode

Advertisements

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Well I am not an expert - especially when it comes to stuff like self rebooting PCs, but I can't help but to try to help you. So here goes nothing, I went and googled "self rebooting pc". Yea, it's a problem for a lot of computer users. I have a feeling it may be a hardware problem, but then again - I could be sadly mistaken. Check this document I found:

Self Rebooting PC Problems

I really hope this solves your problem.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 04 February 2007 - 03:52 AM.

diverseo

diverseo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanx, tried another psu, but still no joy, could this be linked with spayware, add ware or a virus???

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Actually, I am not totally sure, but there are extremely high chances that it is related to Malware. Ok, I want you to forget about the Operating Systems section, and take this to the Malware Removal forums. If they cannot help you, then I want you to come back to this forum, and good-luck from here.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
let me recap because not clear to me,
- you can get into the safemode choices but but cannot get the computer to continue form any of the choices offered ie "last know good config"is out, as would be system restore to a point prior to the problem form safemode with command prompt
- you have tried a repair with cd then

or are you saying that you can post but then later when you do something it reboots, if so the first thing is to switch of the automatic reboot not because that mends things but normally in place of rebooting it give you a BSOD code which you can then tell us what it is, anyway here is how to turn off automatic reboot
---------------------
an error message(bsod) tells one what the error is, whereas auto reboot doesn't,
therefore it's best to turn off auto reboot

turn off auto reboot:

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r button
- paste this in slot: sysdm.cpl @0,3
- press: enter
- find in blue: startup and recovery
( just above the line: system startup, system failure, and debugging infomation)
- click button: settings
- unclick box: automatically restart

once done
the error message can be understood here
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

Edited by fleamailman, 05 February 2007 - 12:38 PM.

diverseo

diverseo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, right 3rd day on this machine, things seem to have got worse, i cant get into safe mode any more, i run safe mode and it staops all the time at

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows32\drivers\Mup.sys

not sure where to go from here

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry this sounds more and more like harddrive death, is your data backed up, I would do while you still can.
but if it is not harddrive death, then repairing the system with a XPcd would be the answer here, anyway here is the link with hope that it is just a corrupted system but I don't feel good about it.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Edited by fleamailman, 07 February 2007 - 02:30 PM.

diverseo

diverseo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanx, have been trying to do xp repair but wont boot up off cd, have set it that way in bios, i have a id to usb cable on hard drive now on to another pc, is it possible to repai it via usb