Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you know if a PC is Dual Core?

• Please log in to reply

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I need to learn how to identify is a PC is Dual Core, or not, specifically mine, I want to know if it is or not. How do you tell? Can someone please tell me and be detailed and accurate about it? Please, and thanks.

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
If you would like to know the full details of your computer, Lavalys Everest Home Edition is a great program for identifying your hardware. Unfortunately Lavalys have pulled the plug on the free version, so get it quick while you still can! You'll find it on Major Geeks: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easiest way is to get CPU-Z its in my sig and just run it its a self contained exe so doesnt need installed it will give you all the CPU info and basics of the rest of the hardware in its other tabs its the simplest way to do it.

If you know what processor it is pentiums with D after are dual core and anything with X2 in it from AMD is a dual core.

h_mike

h_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Thats not what I am looking for. Besides, I have both the EVEREST Corporate and Everest Ultimate, Lavalys' two highest versions for EVEREST. I am looking to know if my PC is Dual Core or not, because EVEREST doesn't state that its Dual Core or not.

------------
EDIT
------------

*In Everest it says I have CPU #0 Intel Pentium 4 2.93 GHZ. and below that it says CPU #1 Intel Pentium 4 2.93 GHz. So what does that mean when I got two of the same processors?

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 04 February 2007 - 08:29 AM.

roadagent

roadagent

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Right click on "My Computer" icon and display "Properties". Under the "General" tab you will see CPU info. I have an Intel Core2Duo processor and mine displays "Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz"

Or from Accessories->System Tools-> System Information, the System Summary will show something like this:
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2137 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2137 Mhz

Note that there should be 2 entries for dual CPU systems...

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
If Lavalys is reporting that you have a processor present in 'socket 0' and 'socket 1' then yes, you do have a dual core system.

h_mike

h_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Ok, I took a screenshot of my processor information:

http://img143.images...reenshotda5.gif

View that screenshot and tell me if it is Dual Core or not.

This is just the summary, if you want I can go into EVEREST and get a screenshot of more detailed information.

Here's the detailed EVEREST screenshot:

EVEREST screenshot of CPU

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 04 February 2007 - 08:45 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
JUST USE CPU-Z trust me its so much easier to understand, i dont think you have a dual core from that.

Edited by warriorscot, 04 February 2007 - 08:47 AM.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Usually if Lavalys reports you have 'two' processors, you either do have a dual motherboard that has two physical CPU's installed, or you have a dual core procesor. As warriorscot said, try using CPU-Z, as it will provide you with all of the information about your processor, speeds, steppings etc

h_mike

h_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Ok, here:

http://img219.images...eenshot3uk0.gif

Thats from CPU-Z

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Your processor's model number is JM80547PE0771MN, which isn't a dual core processor. I'm not sure why Lavalys reports you have two CPU cores, but CPU-Z is correct, your system only has a Pentium 4 Prescott 2.93ghz, which are not dual core, as indicated by the "Cores: 1".

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See first page of info, everest showed to CPUs because you have hyper threading giving you two threads or "virtual" cores but only one physical core it also told you the core and socket type which you could then find out even more from the intel spec sheets.

h_mike

h_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Yea, thats what I thought, but on the right click of my computer, and looking at the computer summary, it also shows TWO 2.93GHz processors

-------------
EDIT
-------------

Anyways, thank you to both you Warriorscot and Spiderman for teaching about my processor, at least I have HT, lol.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 04 February 2007 - 09:03 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
what about looking under device manager.

cheers...xxx1

h_mike

h_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

what about looking under device manager.

cheers...xxx1

We've already figured it out, its single core, but with HT (HyperThreading Technology). Which is the reason why it virtually shows two cores, but is really single core with the HT.