Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer is noisy

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hello

About 3 days ago, my computer started to get increasingly noisy. When I bought it, you almost couldn't here it in the background. Lately however, it's as if the fan is running 3x faster than usual. Can anyone shed some light on this and why this has happened?

PS: It gets more noisy when I play games like NFS Carbon, FIFA 2007 etc.

Thanks
Slikkie

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
It is in fact normal for fans to get 'louder' during gameplay, due to the increase in temperature. For obvious reasons fans are made of a light, durable plastic so they can spin at high speeds as well as trying not to be damaged by anything that may be caught up in them. If you've cleaned out your system - best to use compressed air - and it still happens, either go with 'silent' coolers, or put up with the noise, as the increase in temperature causes very slight expansion of the plastics, causing them to perform slightly louder, although this is the same with every computer and is completely normal.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 Slikkie Noisy PC 4th Feb-2007 –

About 3 days ago, my computer started to get increasingly noisy. When I bought it, you almost couldn't here it in the background.

(1) -How old is computer?
(2) Do you have any Temp Monitor Utility – that you measure CPU Temperature
(3) Is this a Laptop – Desktop – or Tower
(4) What is Manufacturer & Model Number of PC
(5) What is Manufacturer & Model Number of Motherboard

Possible Problems –

(1) CPU Fan has bad bearing –
(2) CPU Fan has damaged Blade
(3) CPU Fan & Heatsink Assembly is clogged with Dust – causing Excessive CPU Temp – which would running fan at a faster RPM

Needs to be investigated – PC will start freezing /Locking up and may not boot up eventually

The attached File – has Instructions for

(1) Downloading Everest
(2) How to make Everest Reports
(3) How to attach Reports to Post

If PC is 2-3 Years old – It is probably – Excessive Dust Build up – and just needs a good cleaning –

Post back reports & answers to questions to determine the cause –

Jack123

Attachment - Attached File  03_Instructions_EVEREST_Full_Report_Attatchment.doc   33KB   25 downloads

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi.

* My computer is about 2 weeks old, so it's still brand new.
* I don't have a temp monitor utility.
* It's a desktop PC

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
In that case it is best to run a Lavalys Everest benchmark test and post the results back here. Also, download SpeedFan and post back with the temperatures which it reports when running the system idle[ie. doing nothing, fully loaded, leave sitting on the desktop] and under pressure, for example play Fifa 07 until you hear the noises then check with SpeedFan for the temperatures.