Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP switch off problem

• Please log in to reply

Reblak

Reblak

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have just recently reinstalled XP Professional + SP2. All is well until I try to 'turn off'. I now get a message saying it is now safe to switch off. Never seen this before! How can I get the system to shutdown and switch off automatically just as it always used to do? :tazz:

Advertisements

Reblak

Reblak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Perhaps I should add that I have checked all the items in Device Manager and all (that give the option) are enabled. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the PC is set to shut down when the power button is pressed, does it go off if you press and hold the power button

Reblak

Reblak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes. The BIOS is set for SOFT OFF (4 secs) and this functions OK when pressed -e.g. when Windows has a problem (perhaps frozen) or to turn off the machine when I get the 'It is now safe...' message.